Prairie View A&M UniversityResearch Scientist (Meat Science/Laboratory Services)Job Title
Research Scientist (Meat Science/Laboratory Services)Agency
Prairie View A&M UniversityDepartment
Adloc Cooperative Agriculture And Research CenterProposed Minimum Salary
Prairie View, TexasJob Type
The College of Agriculture & Human Sciences at Prairie View A&M University invites applications to join a team of faculty/research scientists in the general area of meat science. The selected candidate will be one of several research scientists making up a team of faculty/researchers in the Animal Sciences program. The Meat Laboratory/Services Manager, under direction, coordinates the slaughter, processing, packaging distribution of meat products. In addition to joining a team of faculty/researchers, the successful candidate will become the Unit Research Leader/Manager of a new state-of-the-art meat processing facility that is expected to open soon. The successful candidate for this position must have demonstrated successful grantsmanship and scholarship in addition to demonstrated proficiency in meat processing-primarily beef and goat meat. He/she is expected to establish a vigorous research, teaching and outreach program that is strongly recognized and will attract support funding from State, federal and local funding agencies. The successful candidate is expected to maintain requisite certifications appropriate for this position. The College of Agriculture and Human Sciences (CAHS) at Prairie View A&M University is seeking a visionary individual to manage our new and exciting Meat Science Laboratory Facility. The Meat Science Laboratory is a state-of-the-art facility for research, teaching and outreach activities center dedicated to meat science, food safety, and value-added molecules or materials derived from animal by-products. Duties will also include oversight and maintenance of the lab facility, procurement of supplies and equipment for the laboratory. Prepares specifications, oversees laboratory set-ups, and ensures efficient operations of demonstrations and/or equipment in the laboratory.This position is funded by a grant or restricted funds. Continued employment is contingent on the renewal of grant or restricted funding.Responsibilities:
Required Education & Experience:
- Provides leadership and general oversight, management and maintenance of lab, and serve as the primary point of contact for Meat lab.
- Assists faculty/staff and students in instruction at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Manages all procurements, scheduling of lab activities to include slaughtering, processing and fabrication of meats.
- Develops Safety and HACCP Plans and Standard Operating Procedures for lab.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Doctorate degree.
- Six years of related experience in laboratory management.
- Strong record of peer-reviewed publications, demonstrated success in securing external grants for research projects.
- Prior leadership experience in research, development, production and analysis is preferred.
- Knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Knowledge of scientific equipment associated with science laboratories and facilities.
- Knowledge of proper preparation, handling, and disposal of biologicals, chemicals, and glassware. Knowledge of standard laboratory safety procedures.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to ensure understanding.
- Excellent written communication, analytical, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to lift moderate to heavy objects.
- Travel required may be required.
Job Closing Date::Required Attachments:Please attach all required documents listed below in the attachment box labeled as either “Resume/CV or Resume/Cover Letter” on the application. Multiple attachments may be included in the “Resume/CV” or Resume/Cover Letter” attachment box. Any additional attachments provided outside of the required documents listed below are considered optional.
- Six or more research experience in managing a Meats Lab .
- Demonstrate excellent management skills and a strategic vision to provide direction to the Meat Lab.
- Experience in slaughtering and processing and packaging of farm animals products.
- Experience in sausage manufacturing and meat fabrication.
- Proficiency in written and oral communication skills for diverse audiences.
- Ability to lift weights of 50 lbs or more.
Application Submission Guidelines:
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
All applicants are required to apply via our Career Site on or before the closing date indicated on the job posting. Applicant inquiries received via email and websites such as Indeed, HigherEdJobs, etc. will not be considered unless the individual has applied to the available position via the PVAMU Career site.
The required documents listed in the above Required Attachments section must be attached to the application prior to the job closing date indicated to ensure full consideration for the application submitted. Please contact the Office of Human Resource on or before the closing date indicated above at 936-261-1730 or email@example.com
should you need assistance with the online application process.Background Check Requirements:
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.To apply, visit https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/PVAMU_External/job/Prairie-View-PVAMU/Research-Scientist--Meat-Science-Laboratory-Services-_R-040429About Us
For more than 140 years, Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) has been igniting passion in its students. With an established reputation for producing engineers, nurses and educators, PVAMU offers baccalaureate degrees, master’s degrees and doctoral degree programs through nine colleges and schools. The University has an enrollment of more than 8,500 students. Designated an institution of “the first class” in the Texas Constitution, PVAMU is the second-oldest public institution of higher education in the state and a member of The Texas A&M University System. The University is dedicated to fulfilling its land-grant mission of achieving excellence in teaching, research and service.
PVAMU is conveniently located near the rapidly growing residential and commercial area known as the Northwest Houston Corridor. The developing Northwest Houston Corridor offers newly developed suburban communities, a variety of shopping and dining near the Houston Premium Outlets and is a short, 35-minute commute into downtown Houston. For more information, visit www.pvamu.edu. Your career opportunities with a “University of the first class” begins here!
Prairie View A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
If you need assistance in applying for this job, please contact (936) 261-1730.Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
When inquiring or applying for positions at Prairie View A&M University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Prairie View A&M University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com