Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all position (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The position is expected to:
Laboratory Animal Care:
- Support the Veterinary Team with the provision of routine health care for a variety of laboratory animal species;
- Provide technical study support for all animals and animal research at the Institute;
- Perform or support routine health surveillance diagnostic testing;
Laboratory Animal Training:
- Provide laboratory animal training and technical expertise to ARD and the Salk Institute Community to meet departmental/institutional goals and the needs of research/support staff;
- Write training and veterinary technical related standard operating procedures (SOP)/guidelines;
- Provide hands-on training and support to users of ARD databases and electronic systems.
(60%) Animal Health Care
- Observes daily health of animals; and administers medications/treatments as needed and/or as directed.
- Maintains clinical records on animals under Veterinary care.
- Performs routine health surveillance in sentinel animals, in-house diagnostic tests and collection/preparation of samples for outside diagnostic testing.
- Performs quarterly health checks on rabbits, guinea pigs and/or other species used in antibody production.
- Assists with semi-annual physicals/tb test on NHP; as well as assists the Veterinarians with non-research surgeries and follow-up veterinary care.
- Performs humane euthanasia as needed and/or as directed.
- Participates in Veterinary Services weekend/holiday on-call schedule as needed.
- Maintains cross-training in husbandry activities with all species.
- Performs other duties related to Animal Health Care as assigned by the VS Supervisor and/or Veterinarians.
(20%) Veterinary Technical Services
- Performs routine clinical procedures on variety of laboratory animal species including animal restraint, handling, examinations, blood and tissue collection. Assists with anesthesia pre, per and post operatively.
- Performs in-house diagnostic tests. Collects and prepares samples for outside diagnostic testing.
- Prepares, formulates, calculates, administers and documents therapeutic regimens prescribed by the attending.
- Provides research study support and assists investigators with surgical procedures, special study care, behavioral testing in rodents, blood and tissue sampling and animal dosing.
- Performs procedures on rabbits/guinea pigs and/or other species used in antibody production.
- Assists the veterinarians with necropsies as directed.
- Assists with rodent rederivation and testing program.
- Assists with ARD inventory and records of drug usage and Administers medications.
- Inputs and helps maintain animal health surveillance database. Assists with SOP preparation for technical procedures.
- Performs other duties related to Veterinary Technical Care as assigned by the VS Supervisor and/or Veterinarians.
- Provides training in laboratory animal science and Salk IACUC mandatory training requirements.
- Acts as a trainer for veterinary technical procedures.
- Maintains records of training activities and attendance.
- Assesses proficiency of trainees and performs follow-up training to meet individual and program needs.
- Provides hands-on training and support to users of ARD web based applications such as FootPrints and the OCR Scheduler.
- Performs other duties related to Training as assigned by the VS Supervisor and/or Veterinarians.
(5%) Room Maintenance
- Maintains cabinets stocked with appropriate veterinary supplies.
- Maintains veterinary equipment and medical instruments.
- Maintains organization and cleanliness of animal procedure rooms, veterinary diagnostic lab and necropsy room.
- Performs other duties related to Room Maintenance as assigned by the VS Supervisor and/or Veterinarians.
(3%) Administrative Duties
- Communicates with investigators on health status or animal colonies.
- Assists with ARD inventory and records of drug usage.
- Files and helps maintain diagnostic lab reports.
- Assists with documentation for maintaining regulatory compliance.
- Assists with SOP/Guidelines preparation for technical procedures and training.
- Performs other administrative duties as assigned by the VS Supervisor and/or Veterinarians.
(2%) Other Duties As Assigned
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a laboratory animal facility or research facility with lab animal species or equivalent (i.e. 2 years of clinical experience and/or RVT training through schooling)
- 3 or more years of experience in experience in a laboratory animal facility or research facility with specific pathogen free (SPF) rodents, rabbits, non-human primates and other lab animal species.
- 3 or more year of clinical veterinary experience.
- Proficient with anesthesia (pre-per-post operative).
- Extensive hands-on experience with animal husbandry, handling and restraint, blood sampling, injections, administering medications.
- Graduation from AVMA or State of California approved animal health technician program and eligible to sit for VTNE
- AALAS certification ALAT or higher.
- RVT (or CVT/LVT)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of basic veterinary equipment and instruments (eg: anesthetic apparatus, pulse oximeter, microscope, centrifuge, refractometer, etc.).
- Hands on experience with animal husbandry, handling and restraint, blood/tissue sampling, injections, administering medications, anesthesia, surgical monitoring and euthanasia.
- Strong record keeping and computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of proper handling and disposal of sharp, biohazardous waste and other hazardous materials.
- Knowledge of aseptic surgical technique, sterilization, disinfection and sanitization principles and applications.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Able to work a flexible schedule based on workload and deadlines.
- Must be able to work assigned schedule of 6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. with any of these shifts; Monday - Friday/ Sunday-Thursday/ Tuesday-Saturday.
- Must be able to work overtime as needed before or after regular shift or on weekends.
- Post offer physical required which may include respirator fit test.
- Emergency on-call duties may be required.
- Willing to sign an employee confidentiality agreement.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- As a safeguard for employees and animals, all ARD employees may be subject to vaccines/tests/physical exams prior to working with specific animals or animal populations as required by research needs including but not limited to:
- TB Testing/Clearance (every 12 months / once a year)
- Hepatitis B (proof of immunization and/or vaccination)
- Tetanus (vaccination < 10 years)
- Diphtheria (proof of immunization and/or vaccination)
- Measles (proof of immunization and/or vaccination)
- Periodic physical exams (may include respirator fit test)
- Other vaccines/tests as required by Occupational Health & Safety standards
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position requires constant grasping, handling, hearing, keying, seeing, sitting, talking, touching/feeling, walking, communicating, reading, writing, exposure to animals, fumes/odors/mists/dusts, potential allergens and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com