Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Job location is in Salk North (Torrey Pines)
This position is responsible for processing bi-weekly and semi-monthly payroll cycles. This includes balancing all earnings and deduction totals. Inspecting automated system output such as payroll registers and reports and determining and correcting out-of-balance conditions. Supervision is received from the Payroll Senior Accountant who reviews the work for attainment of objectives and adherence to policy; however, the employee is expected to exercise considerable initiative and judgement in planning and carrying out assignments. Works closely with all levels of the Salk community. Ensures confidentiality of information and sensitive documents by following operational procedures, exercising sound judgement and adhering to the confidentiality policy.
(75%) Payroll processing
- Process in-house bi-weekly and semi-monthly payroll.
- Run payroll calculation process, review all output, make necessary changes prior to closing payroll.
- Print payroll checks and sort for delivery to laboratories and departments.
- Review daily PARs. Calculate and enter required retroactive amounts and other changes into the payroll system.
- Enter garnishments into the payroll system.
- Review time management audit reports as needed; contact employees about possible errors/corrections needed; enter adjustments.
- Enter tax exemptions for nonresident aliens.
- Process manual checks as needed.
- Obtains and tracks post-payroll (late) timesheet submissions and approvals.
- Process Positive Pay exception reports from the bank when necessary.
- Record and reconcile "NTS-No Timesheet" hours and reversals.
- Research payroll issues, inconsistencies or other variances. Documents findings.
- Respond to personnel at all levels of the organization regarding payroll matters.
- Prepare Nth Reports after each bi-weekly and semi-monthly payroll.
- Audit data entry by Human Resources to ensure all input is correct and will result in accurate payroll, worker's comp and deduction calculations.
(5%) Other projects/duties as assigned
- + 5 years of payroll processing experience with an in-house payroll system.
- Minimum of six months general accounting.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Detailed knowledge of FLSA, as well as federal and California wage and hour laws.
- Knowledge of current payroll, labor, and tax regulations and practices.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work against inflexible deadlines with frequent interruptions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills appropriate for interaction with a broad array of individuals. Interpersonal skills must include tact, good judgement, diplomacy, and flexibility to relate to diverse scientific research staff, faculty, executive management, administrative staff, and external contacts.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Knowledge of complex in-house computerized payroll systems. Preferably combined HR/Payroll systems.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to sign confidentiality agreement.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute's background investigation.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will constantly be adjusting focus, grasping, handling, seeing, sitting, touching/feeling, reading and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com