Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Research Assistant II position entails working intimately with postdoctoral fellows as part of the project on characterization of the role of hepatic FXR in coordinating lipoprotein metabolism and inflammation. The position requires independent time management and multitasking to ensure timely completion of research goals. Proficiency in basic cellular and molecular biology techniques is required, as is the ability to quickly learn and acquire new skill sets. Research projects rely heavily on mouse models including general colony maintenance and management for a large number of genotypes.
(25%) Cell-Based studies
- Independently maintains mammalian cell cultures and primary tissue cultures.
- Growing bone marrow derived macrophages primary cell tissue culture with drugs/ chemicals treatment.
- Primary cell isolation and culture from mouse and human tissues including fibroblasts, and immune cells.
- T cell proliferation and suppression assays.
- In vitro pharmacological studies.
- Fluorescence and confocal microscopy.
- Flow cytometry analysis for cell cycle and immune cell marker.
(30%) Molecular Biology Techniques
- DNA and RNA isolation from cells and tissues
- Maxi and mini DNA preoaration
- PCR , RT and qPCR
- Use of BioPlex machine for cytokines screening assay
- Use of Bioanalyzer
- Gel Electrophoresis Protein isolation and analysis- SDS-PAGE, Western blot, silver stain
- Elisa assay
- Recombinant DNA techniques.
(30%) Animal Studies
- Colony maintenance, including mating, tagging, clipping, and weaning
- Drug dosing, including drug prep, I.P. injection, and oral gavage
- Necropsy and tissue dissection
- Survival surgeries
- mouse irradiation
- bone marrow transplantation
- mouse bone marrow isolation
(15%) Lab Support
- Performs quality control of reagents as needed.
- Trains and assists other lab personnel on research techniques and use of laboratory equipment.
- Attends staff meetings and assist with general problem solving.
- Assists in Hazardous, Biohazardous and waste disposal.
- Assists with maintaining laboratory safety records.
- Maintains laboratory supplies and equipment.
- Minimum 2 years' experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 2 years' experience on mouse work and molecular biology techniques
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field or equivalent
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands on knowledge of histology and molecular biology techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to manage and track large numbers of samples meticulously without mixup or cross contamination.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with both PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Proficiency with common office software applications as well as software applications used for research, recording, and analysis.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking, adept at juggling changing priorities and able to prioritize.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups.
- Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work with human cells and complete all appropriate associated training.
- Must be willing to work independently and must have a flexible schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position requires constant adjusting focus, seeing, and sitting.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com