Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Under direction, position performs general tasks and competes routine assignments. Receives assistance in the completion of more complex assignments. Develops proficiency within discipline. Works under moderate supervision with some latitude for independence judgment. Typically makes detailed observations.
(60%) Molecular and Cellular Biology, Biochemistry and Histology Techniques
- Cryohistology (use of cryostat and immunostaining)
(10%) Mouse Colony Handling and Maintenance
- Mouse husbandry
- Genotyping (ear tag, ear punch, genomic DNA preparation and PCR)
(30%) Lab Support
- Assist with preparing standard solutions.
- Assist with inventory of lab supplies.
- Assist with stock and organize incoming lab supplies.
- Clean glassware and equipment as needed.
- Assist with maintaining lab data.
- Maintain lab computers
- Minimum one year of experience as a lab technician or equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience and application of molecular biology and genetics knowledge.
- Demonstrated experience with general lab maintenance, including cleaning, stocking
- Supply inventory, and ensuring the maintenance of a sterile environment
- High School diploma and undergraduate coursework in biological sciences, or equivalent.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions
- Ability to learn and carry out new experimental procedures with accuracy and efficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and/or written protocols, including follow-up on previously begun procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to record data accurately and enter into appropriate medium.
- Demonstrate skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with both PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Proficiency with common office software applications as well as software applications used for research, recording, and analysis
- Able to perform routine, repetitive functions.
- Proven organizational and time management skills to successfully set priorities, meet established deadlines and recognize new problems with constantly changing priorities and frequent interruptions.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking and adept at juggling changing priorities.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) needed to interact professionally and effectively in the work environment. Ability to read, comprehend, and discuss research materials. Proven ability to write, edit and proofread research results.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills utilizing sound judgment, tact and a recognition of situations requiring confidentiality.
- Ability to diplomatically and professionally interact with all levels of Institute staff and external contacts.
- Skills in cryohistology (use of cryostat and immunostaining
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
This position requires constant handling, seeing, sitting, and talking.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com