Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
We are seeking a creative and motivated Research Assistant with strong experimental skills to support the development of novel cell therapy-based approaches for type 1 diabetes (Nature, 586: 606-11, 2020). The role will focus on differentiation of iPSC/ESC to functionally active organoids, help streamline and establish a robust process and aid in the translation of this work to external partners.
(45%) Stem Cell Work
- Maintenance and differentiation of iPSC/ESC to functionally active organoids
- Preparation / maintenance of cell culture media, growth factors and reagents for stem cell work.
- Growing, passaging, and maintenance of organoid cultures.
- Viability assay for organoids.
- Harvesting and isolation of organoid cells for FACS sorter.
(25%) Molecular and Cellular Biology, and Biochemistry Techniques
- Plasmid DNA ( Maxi and mini) and RNA preparation from tissues and cells
- Gel Electrophoresis ( DNA, RNA, Protein ( SDS-page, Western Blotting)
- Molecular cloning
- Analysis of DNA/ RNA quality using Agilent BioAnalyzer
- PCR/ qPCR in 384 -well format
- cDNA synthesis from RNA
(20%) Mouse Colony Handling and Maintenance
- Mouse husbandry/ feeding with special diet/ weaning, mating, breeding
- Weighing/ Euthanizing / Mouse survival surgery
- Dissection ad harvesting of mouse tissues
- Tail clipping/ ear punching
(10%) Lab Support
- Assist with preparing standard/general tock solutions.
- Assist with weekly inventory and ordering of general lab supplies.
- Assist with receipt and organization of incoming lab supplies.
- Assist in disposal of hazardous, biohazard waste and chemical waste
- No professional experience required.
- Demonstrated experience and application of molecular biology knowledge preferably in biochemistry and cell culture.
- Demonstrated experience with general lab maintenance, including cleaning, stocking supply inventory, and ensuring the maintenance of a sterile environment.
- Familiarity with molecular biology techniques
- Experience with cell culture techniques
- Familiarity with cell culture instrumentation
- Previous experience in IPSC cultures
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences, biochemistry or related field
- MS in Biology or related field
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands on knowledge of tissue culture and molecular biology techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to learn and carry out new experimental procedures with accuracy and efficiency. Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and/or written protocols, including follow-up on previously begun procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to record data accurately and enter into appropriate medium.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with both PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Proficiency with common office software applications as well as software applications used for research, recording, and analysis.
- Detail oriented with ability to understand and follow standard procedures
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign confidentiality agreement
This position requires constant adjusting focus, grasping, hearing, keying, seeing, sitting, talking, analyzing, calculating, communicating, reading, reasoning, and writing.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com