Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Job location is in Salk North (Torrey Pines)
The Director, Compensation & Benefits will play an integral role in the success of the Human Resources group at the Institute. This position will manage all of Salk's employee compensation and benefit programs including medical, dental, life, accident, disability, COBRA, flexible spending accounts, supplemental insurance programs, leave plans and 403(b) Plan. Specifically s/he will be responsible for:
- Planning, strategy development and overall management of benefit programs, including a communication strategy for creating total rewards awareness.
- Establishing relationships with benefit brokers and insurance carriers and acts as liaison to obtain and negotiate renewals, settlements, claims and utilization data and enrollment information.
- Ensuring that compensation programs are competitive and equitable and that the programs are carried out to assist in attainment of Institute objectives.
- Conducting job analysis/evaluations, salary administration & design of base salary and variable cash compensation programs
- Establishing plans and procedures for carrying out policies & practices in compensation including audits.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable federal and state compensation regulations and statutes.
- Coordinating human resources policies and procedures to initiate benefits such as COBRA, FMLA, short and long term disability insurance, medical and life insurance and 403(b) Plan.
- Managing annual open enrollment period. Arranges for distribution of materials from carriers, assists with, communicating changes to employees and arranges on-site representation by providers, conducts employee presentations and processes changes within deadlines.
- Resolves premium discrepancies between payroll department and carriers.
- Interfacing with Manager of Occupational Health on workers compensation program on leave of absence integration issues.
- Developing and documenting procedures to streamline processes and ensure benefit plans are consistently administered in compliance with Institute policies and government regulations such as ERISA, IRS, and DOL, and work with HR team to educate Managers on all benefits related programs.
- Filing annual compliance paperwork and discrimination testing.
- Managing Benefits Administrator.
- Bachelor's degree in business, human resources or related field is required.
- 7-10 years of related Human Resources experience of an increasingly responsible nature with at least 2-3 years of management experience, preferably in a research or academic environment.
- Experience in designing benefit plans.
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills, written and verbal communication skills, customer consultation and interpersonal skills, attention to detail and the ability to multi-task.
- Proficiency with Excel is essential. Prior experience with an oracle based HRMS application is strongly preferred. Report writing experience is also preferred.
- Familiarity with HIPAA, COBRA, ERISA, FMLA and related state and federal regulations required.
- CEBS or World at Work certification strongly preferred.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com