Manager, Military & Veteran
Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$53,000 - $84,800 (dependent on experience and other considerations)
If you are ready to work for an organization that nurtures diversity, respect, professional development and a comfortable work-life fit, we invite you to consider applying for the position of Manager, Military & Veteran Compliance. The Military and Veteran Compliance Service Center provides exceptional customer service to Dallas College students, parents, departments and alumni, by providing a single point of contact to analyze and resolve questions about academic and financial regulations, financial transactions, academic progress, and transaction-based issues. Position is primarily responsible for the certification of Veteran education benefits as well as supporting compliance within Student and Academic Services.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
An understanding of Financial Aid, Federal Student Loan regulations, privacy regulations (FERPA), and collection regulations is highly desired. Must be cognizant of and ability to enforce the internal controls implemented in the Military/VA Services office.
- Experience in navigating and communicating with Veterans Administration offices, both locally and nationwide. Understand the various benefits and services offered by the VA, and how they are administered and managed to ensure participation. Ideally experience using VA-ONCE to submit certifications to the VA.
- Compliance administration experience. Able to keep up to date on changes related to military/veteran affairs services.
- Experience using Ellucian Colleague software or equivalent Student Information System, specifically using the veteran’s functionality for tracking and managing this student group.
- Practical, business-oriented approach to problem solving and ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced change environment.
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment in working through complex transactions, with the ability to analyze, problem solve, and communicate observations and recommendations.
- Critical thinker and ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Advanced customer service and computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
Associate and four (4) years or Bachelor's degree and two (2) years of relevant experience (VA & Accounting) or a combination of education and relevant experience. Official transcripts will be required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to diverse communities.
- An understanding of higher education financial aid operations.
- Ability to learn and understand compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
- Relevant experience in a veteran and /or accounting support administrative role and an understanding of the military-affiliated community.
- Ability to professionally handle confidential material and associated issues.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, counseling, and negotiation skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Current and valid Texas driver’s license required for offsite travel.
***Will be subject to a criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check.***
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for providing administrative support with a strong focus on compliance and the financial needs of the military-affiliated communities at Dallas College.
- Serves as Dallas College’s Certifying Official for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits, including Montgomery GI Bill® – Chapter 30, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program – Chapter 31, Post 9/11 GI Bill® – Chapter 33, Survivors and dependents education – Chapter 35; Selected Reserve GI Bill® – Chapter 1606; Reserve Educational Assistance Program – Chapter 1607, Hazlewood Exemption.
- Ensure compliance with VA (Federal) and CSAAVE (State) policies and maintain educational benefits files in accordance with federal regulations.
- Use Colleague and VA-ONCE to process certifications and manage the Veteran's student record.
- Submit VA certifications, enrollment adjustments, and student data through VA-ONCE system.
- Collaborate with others to help resolve financial issues and concerns, interpret policies, and mediate complex and sensitive issues.
- Prepare for federal audits and facilitate the visit.
- Provide advice to students on a range of issues including, using VA education benefits in line with program policies, in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Provide advising for students to ensure compliance for receipt of benefits and understand implications to Dallas College financial aid policies.
- Serve as the primary contact for Veteran education benefits issues, and work with appropriate departments (i.e., Financial Aid, Student Financials, Student Services, summer session, Registrar's Office) to resolve with sensitivity to the Veteran's individual needs. Resolve VA educational benefits inquiries through trained expertise.
- Educate Dallas College staff community on policies and procedures of VA education benefits and keep up to date with policy changes that impact processing.
- Assist in the management, coordination, documentation, and fulfillment of incoming FERPA requests for the college.
- Develop recommendations and collaborate with diverse staff, stakeholders and constituents to resolve FERPA issues within the school and across functional units.
- Identify trends, perform needs analysis, and participate in the implementation and testing of new technology that will assist with the FERPA process.
- Act as a backup to Dallas College VA benefits processing.
- Completes required Dallas College Professional Development training hours per academic year.
- Performs other job duties as required.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
Dallas College is part of an equal opportunity system that provides education and employment opportunities without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Dallas College complies with the Americans with Disabilities and Veterans Act.
Apply Here: https://opportunities.dcccd.edu/cw/en-us/listing/
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the Dallas County Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com