Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Under direction, position performs tasks and experiments in support of academic research projects. Responsibilities may include: seed collection, handling and plating; DNA-based molecular methods such as PCR, molecular cloning, and sequencing; transformation of various plant species through tissue culture; and imaging of transgenic plants by fluorescent confocal microscopy.
(100%) Research and Lab Support
- Handling and maintenance of plants, seed collection and seed plating.
- Sterile plant tissue culture.
- Plant transformation.
- Fluorescent confocal microscopy.
- Molecular cloning (PCR, plasmid construction, and sequencing).
- Prepare standard media and solutions.
- Perform weekly lab duties (e.g. glassware collection and washing).
- No professional level experience required
- Experience in a laboratory setting
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Undergraduate coursework in biological sciences or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understands operation of basic lab equipment.
- Ability to perform routine, repetitive functions.
- After initial instruction, ability to follow directions and perform repetitive tasks.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking and adept at juggling changing priorities.
- Ability to communicate required information and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research and lab needs, which may include late afternoons and early evenings. Scheduling will be discussed with incumbent.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
This position requires constant seeing, and frequent handling, reaching, standing, talking, analyzing, communicating, and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com