Director of Nursing Simulation Center
The Director of the Nursing Simulation Center in the Patricia H. Garman School of Nursing is a full-time, twelve-month staff position reporting to the Dean of Nursing. The Nursing Simulation Center is inclusive of high-, medium-, and low-fidelity simulation experiences. The Director has leadership and management responsibilities for Simulation education in the undergraduate and graduate nursing programs. The director works in collaboration with the Dean, Associate Deans, Program Directors and Course/Clinical Coordinators to support the School in achieving its goals for simulation across nursing programs and for integration with the College community in interprofessional simulation experiences. The Director is a thought leader in nursing simulation and fosters a collaborative environment in which simulation learning experiences are current and relevant for the practice of procedural simulation, clinical judgement, and best practice standards for simulation scenarios. The director, in collaboration with course faculty, oversees student learning achievement and fosters excellence in the evaluation of student competencies. The Director engages with faculty to integrate simulation in the achievement of Simulation Student Learning Outcomes (SSLO), including skill competency, based on the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning (INACSL) and Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH) guidelines and standards.
two full-time staff members;
COLLABORATING POSITIONS: D’Youville College Director of Simulation (HUB); Associate Deans for Graduate and Undergraduate Programs; Faculty Simulation Liaison (Emily Jerge); Program Directors; Course/Clinical Coordinators
1. Support the development of course curricula with appropriate faculty and staff. Standardize scenario/case study writing for consistency. Support faculty development with technical knowledge of simulation capabilities and procedures.
2. Assure quality and integrity of academic learning, course curricula, services and operations according to best practices.
3. Coordinate the scheduling of simulation programs among users by working with the simulation faculty and school faculty to establish high level priorities and maximize operational time.
4. Provide budget input to support simulation and clinical skills practice.
5. Negotiate, purchase, manage and inventory all laboratory supplies and equipment including specialized equipment needed for simulation.Simulation Director Position Description 2 | P a g e 6. Oversees the preparation of the simulation labs for specific classes and anticipates the needs of the faculty and students.
7. Assure planning and implementation for the debrief of simulations with faculty and students. 8. Develop data collection and record keeping processes to evaluate student learning that comply with course, program, and College learning outcomes.
9. Develop data collection and record keeping processes to evaluate training method effectiveness and the performance of faculty and students.
10. Submits annual reports to the Dean of Nursing regarding progress on achievements, program additions, and strategic goals and program effectiveness foci for the next year on or before July 1 each year.
11. Support the development of instructor training in simulation pedagogy and debriefing.
12. Monitor equipment safety and performance testing and certification.
13. Actively participate in the development, preparation, and writing of grants to obtain equipment.
14. Review and update simulation scenarios for accuracy and consistency with curriculum needs. 15. Provide summaries of operational expenses, equipment usage and equipment repair for the annual development plan.
16. Provide summaries of records to support monthly and annual operations reports.
17. Schedule and supervise preventive maintenance of equipment according to the manufactures' recommendations. Work with manufacturers or vendors to correct equipment deficiencies to assure optimal operation of simulation equipment.
18. Develop and maintain technical proficiency with all aspects of the operation, maintenance, support, trouble-shooting, and repair for all equipment. This includes hardware and software updates.
19. Demonstrate and teach technical aspects of operating simulators to faculty members and others.
20. Provide orientation of faculty and students to principles of simulation training and debriefing techniques and provide faculty with related literature.
21. Develop inventory policies of supplies and equipment.
22. Develop policies and procedures to support the use and efficiency of the skills and simulation labs.
23. Perform other related duties as assigned.
1. Master’s Degree in Nursing from an institutionally accredited college or university;
2. Unrestricted New York licensure to practice as a registered nurse;
3. Three years of experience in nursing simulation, either in an academic simulation center or a healthcare organization with a strong simulation program;
4. Five years clinical nursing experience, which can include the simulation experience reference in item 3 above; and
5. Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
1. Earned doctorate or candidate for the degree in nursing or a closely related field from an institutionally accredited college of university;
2. Three years of leadership in nursing simulation, either in an academic simulation center or healthcare organization with a strong simulation program;
3. Five years of simulation experience and/or clinical experience;
4. Outstanding interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
5. Experience with managing a Center with multiple sites and interprofessional simulation experiences; and
6. Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator through the Society for Simulation in Healthcare.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com