Prairie View A&M UniversityAssociate Professor/Full Professor & Head for the Department of Languages & CommunicationJob Title
Associate Professor/Full Professor & Head for the Department of Languages & CommunicationAgency
Prairie View A&M UniversityDepartment
College Of Arts & SciencesProposed Minimum Salary
Prairie View, TexasJob Type
The Brailsford College of Arts and Sciences at Prairie View A&M University invites applications for the position of Department Head for the Department of Languages and Communication. Under the supervision of the Dean of the Brailsford College of Arts and Sciences, the Department Head is expected to provide the strategic and operational direction of the Department of Languages and Communication. The College is seeking a candidate for a 12-month appointment position at the rank of either Associate or Full Professor. Candidates must be tenure eligible at the appointment.
The diverse faculty and staff of the Department of Languages and Communication work diligently to maintain a learning environment that enhances educational growth and professional opportunities for our students. The programs offer students a liberal arts education, both on the main campus in Prairie View and the Northwest Center in Houston, emphasizing the acquisition of language and communication skills in English, Spanish, Arabic, and Chinese, as well as advanced knowledge of media techniques. The department offers the Bachelor of Arts degree in English and a minor in Spanish and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication.Responsibilities:
- Develops, implements, and evaluates policies and procedures affecting all program outcomes; develops and manages research opportunities and external funding.
- Develops and manages research opportunities and external funding as well as acquires funding from agencies, organizations and individuals.
- Handles the administration and management of all administrative support systems required to sustain and improve departmental growth.
- Provides responses to requested information and on-going implementation of strategies to eliminate audit deficiencies and prevent non-compliance with rules and regulations; ensures
adherence to the University's diversity and inclusion guidelines.
Required Education & Experience:
- Creates a vision and engenders the trust of subordinates, peers, and supervisors; generates revenues for faculty and staff development.
- Manages and implements the fiscal affairs for the department that are consistent with college and university expectations;
- Develops recruitment and marketing plans that show evidence of faculty and staff involvement; prioritizes annual expenditures in a manner that supports the College mission; and
- Establishes measurable goals and objectives aligned with University, System, and State goals for participation, success, excellence, and research.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Earned Doctorate degree in an area offered within the department's long-range plans for degree offerings (i.e. English or Foreign Languages only).
- Must be tenure eligible and have demonstrated experience in administration and teaching in higher education or proven equivalent experiences.
- Evidence of scholarship, research and creative endeavors.
Job Posting Close Date:Required Attachments:Please attach all required documents listed below in the attachment box labeled as either “Resume/CV or Resume/Cover Letter” on the application. Multiple attachments may be included in the “Resume/CV” or Resume/Cover Letter” attachment box. Any additional attachments provided outside of the required documents listed below are considered optional.
- Proven ability to provide vision, training, supervision and leadership.
- Commitment to working with diverse student populations and fostering undergraduate and graduate student success.
- Ability to adapt and respond quickly to the changing needs of the department, college and institution.
- Demonstrated evidence of effective leadership supported by excellent oral/written communication.
- Must possess sound judgment in decision making and a collaborative spirit with colleagues and leaders.
- Evidence of highly developed interpersonal and relationship building skills that foster tolerance of multiple perspectives, ethical and participative decision-making, consensus building, and respect for and promotion of diversity.
Application Submission Guidelines:
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
All applicants are required to apply via our Career Site on or before the closing date indicated on the job posting. Applicant inquiries received via email and websites such as Indeed, HigherEdJobs, etc. will not be considered unless the individual has applied to the available position via the PVAMU Career site.
The required documents listed in the above Required Attachments section must be attached to the application prior to the job closing date indicated to ensure full consideration for the application submitted. Please contact the Office of Human Resource on or before the closing date indicated above at 936-261-1730 or firstname.lastname@example.org
should you need assistance with the online application process.Background Check Requirements:
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.To apply, visit https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/PVAMU_External/job/Prairie-View-PVAMU/Associate-Professor-Full-Professor---Head-for-the-Department-of-Languages---Communication_R-037078-1About Us
For more than 140 years, Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) has been igniting passion in its students. With an established reputation for producing engineers, nurses and educators, PVAMU offers baccalaureate degrees, master’s degrees and doctoral degree programs through nine colleges and schools. The University has an enrollment of more than 8,500 students. Designated an institution of “the first class” in the Texas Constitution, PVAMU is the second-oldest public institution of higher education in the state and a member of The Texas A&M University System. The University is dedicated to fulfilling its land-grant mission of achieving excellence in teaching, research and service.
PVAMU is conveniently located near the rapidly growing residential and commercial area known as the Northwest Houston Corridor. The developing Northwest Houston Corridor offers newly developed suburban communities, a variety of shopping and dining near the Houston Premium Outlets and is a short, 35-minute commute into downtown Houston. For more information, visit www.pvamu.edu. Your career opportunities with a “University of the first class” begins here!
Prairie View A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
If you need assistance in applying for this job, please contact (936) 261-1730.Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
When inquiring or applying for positions at Prairie View A&M University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Prairie View A&M University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com