The Department of Languages at St. Mary's University, a Hispanic-Serving Institution in San Antonio, Texas, invites applications for a
full-time one-year renewable visiting position in Spanish, at the rank of Visiting Assistant Professor, to commence in fall of 2021, https://www.stmarytx.edu/academics/department/languages
. We anticipate a full-time tenure-track position opening in the
Fall of 2022. This is a language and literature position that serves the various needs of our core curriculum, as well as our majors,
minors, and recipients of the language certificate. The 4-4 teaching load includes teaching courses at the introductory and intermediate
levels of the Spanish language, as well as courses on the literature and culture of the Spanish-speaking world at the advanced levels. We
are planning that these courses will be delivered in on-campus modality, but the candidate should show flexibility for other teaching
The ideal candidate must be able to integrate into a small program and to collaborate with other faculty in the
Department of Languages and the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. St. Mary's is the oldest Catholic university in the
Southwest, and continues to advocate the Marianist mission of academic excellence and servant leadership. Successful candidates must support
the mission of the university: www.stmarytx.edu
1852 by the Society of Mary (Marianists), St. Mary's is a comprehensive Catholic, Marianist and Hispanic-Serving university with a
strong tradition of integrating liberal arts with professional studies. St. Mary's enrolls close to 3,700 students in a diverse
university with four schools with more than 40 academic programs including Ph.D. and J.D. programs, and numerous pre-professional programs.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Course load (4 courses per semester): that
may include language, literature and culture (including introductory, intermediate, advanced, heritage-language courses, career-oriented
courses, teacher-candidate courses, Spanish American and Peninsular literature and culture).
- Service to the Department's double
majors, majors, minors and certificate seekers, including advising of students and participation in departmental events.
- Service to
College and University as appropriate. The ideal candidate will work effectively as part of a team in a department that consists of a small
number of colleagues, and will be flexible enough to assume several different roles to fully participate in the program and ensure its
future growth and stability.
- In order to achieve these stated ends, the successful candidate must possess the following
- Flexibility and adaptability to balance the candidate's unique contributions to curricular development with established
departmental programmatic components and needs.
- Mentorship and advising of majors, minors, and undeclared students following a
- Participation in service to the department and university through supporting initiatives, committee work,
student driven activities, college and faculty meetings and events.
- Continued participation in scholarly activities that contribute
to the candidate's field of expertise and inform teaching content and practice.
- Commitment to Diversity: recognition of the
value of diversity and the importance of creating and sustaining an environment that supports and embraces diversity and inclusion.
- M.A. in Spanish, Romance Languages or a related field, Ph.D. preferred
- College-level teaching experience on-campus and/or virtual modalities
- Native or near-native fluency in both English and
- Demonstrated record of inclusive pedagogy
- Ability to support
our Portuguese program and/or teach another language
- Knowledge of or experience in Translation/Interpretation
or willingness to become familiar with the Teaching Proficiency through Reading and Storytelling (TPRS) method of language instruction
Requirements for Initial Application * Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and contact information of 3 professional
references (letters may be requested at a later date)
- Unofficial transcript/proof of highest degree earned (official documents will
be required prior to hiring)
Evidence of strong teaching ability Applications can be submitted at http://stmarytx.applicantpro.com/jobs/
with the option to upload all
supporting documents electronically.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a clear background
check. St. Mary's University is an Equal Opportunity employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit,
particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, and members of other historically underrepresented groups.
To Apply: Please use the "Apply" Button Below or see the Job Description Above
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com.
Be first to receive notifications of new jobs in your specific area by signing up for Job Alerts Here.