Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey is searching for a distinguished academic leader and visionary and transformational Chair of the Department of Family and Community Health Sciences (FCHS) to expand the capacity, visibility and impact of the department across the state and within the university. The successful candidate will be appointed to the rank of Associate or Full Professor based on experience and academic accomplishments.
This 12-month, 100% Extension-funded position offers an exciting opportunity for leadership in advancing established areas of department excellence and developing new strategic and innovative initiatives in the areas of nutrition, chronic disease prevention, health and wellness. Reporting to the Director of Rutgers Cooperative Extension, the Chair has administrative oversight and responsibilities for Extension program development, implementation, management, evaluation and reporting within FCHS mission areas and serves as an integral member of the Cooperative Extension leadership team. The Department has a strong interest in attracting diverse faculty and encourages candidates from diverse under-represented communities.
The mission of the Department of Family and Community Health Sciences, a department within Rutgers Cooperative Extension and closely aligned with the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, is to promote healthy lifestyles and environments for New Jersey residents and communities with an emphasis in areas related to nutrition, chronic disease prevention, health and wellness.
The Chair in consultation with the FCHS faculty will provide vision and strategic direction within the department to build new mission-aligned programs responsive to the needs of New Jersey residents. The position will provide administrative leadership to the department, including budgeting, staffing and personnel management, faculty tenure/promotion reviews, program planning and evaluation, departmental reporting, media relations and day-to-day department management. Representative responsibilities of the Chair will also include:
- Strengthening relationships across Rutgers University to build and deliver innovative, cross-departmental, and cross-disciplinary health and wellness educational programs aligned with state and community-identified priorities;
- Expanding efforts to identify and bridge the needs of underserved New Jersey communities with university health and wellness, nutrition, food security, and related university expertise, programs, and resources;
- Working within Rutgers Cooperative Extension to build cross-functionality across departments and program areas, including 4-H youth development, urban agriculture, natural resource management, community sustainability, and EFNEP;
- Advancing, promoting, advocating, and exemplifying inclusiveness, diversity and equity as core elements toward achieving Rutgers’ strategic vision to be preeminent in research, excellent in teaching and committed to community;
- Building broader county constituencies and other external partnerships to holistically assess community health and wellness needs and broaden access to FCHS and university health and wellness programs and resources.
- Deepening relationships with National Institute of Food and Agriculture program area leadership and remain apprised of/pursue federal funding opportunities in FCHS mission-aligned program areas.
- Exploring opportunities to expand the use of train-the-trainer and volunteer/paraprofessional development models to strengthen FCHS program delivery capacity in underserved communities.
- Expanding regional networking and engagement with family and consumer sciences professionals in the Northeast and nationally.
- Maintaining a workplace culture centered on collegiality, service, programmatic excellence, inclusivity and professional ethics;
- Onboarding new personnel, managing faculty tenure/promotion processes and post-tenure reviews, overseeing annual staff performance management evaluations, and facilitating continuous professional development;
- Supporting faculty and staff efforts to acquire external resources (e.g., competitive grants, contracts, planned giving, etc.);
- Supporting opportunities to align department with experienced based education and other opportunities for undergraduate and graduate student involvement; and
- Serving as a member of the executive leadership team of the Director of Rutgers Cooperative Extension.
Preferred and Required Qualifications
Minimum Education and Experience:
Candidate must demonstrate a sustained record of programmatic excellence, including evidence of peer-reviewed publications, competitive funding and the ability to conceptualize and deliver clearly articulated extension programs. Additional position requirements include:
- Experience working with the national Family and Consumer Sciences program, Cooperative Extension and the land grant system is preferred;
- Five years of post-degree professional experience for doctoral candidates and ten years of professional experience for Master’s Level candidates. Applicants are required to possess a demonstrated record of scholarly excellence and accomplishments that merits appointment at the rank of Associate/Full Professor with tenure
- Advanced experience in the administration, management and leadership of educational programs, including innovative curriculum development, implementation and assessment, personnel management and financial management;
- Demonstrated experience building collaborative partnerships within academic and community contexts
- Demonstrated experience developing and supporting programming that supports diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Demonstrated service and leadership in professional associations;
- Track record of successful acquisition and management of grants, contracts and other external resourcing; and
- Computer proficiency.
A Master’s Degree is required from an accredited institution in family and consumer sciences, nutrition, public health, extension, community education, or a related field. A doctoral degree and/or credentialing as a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist is preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of Professional References (contact Info)
- Transcript (Official)
Apply Here: https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/131549
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Rutgers University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com