For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The Senior Manager of Payroll Operations is responsible for payroll, payroll tax, fringe benefit cost analysis, and all other payroll related functions of the College and ensures applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures are followed. Work is performed with independence in decision making within established federal, state and College guidelines, policies, rules, and regulations. The Senior Manager keeps payroll practices up to date and ensures staff development.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the payroll function by ensuring college policy and government regulations are met, promoting exceptional customer service, maintaining modern practices and technology, and managing staff.
- Creates and distributes College-wide communications with updates regarding laws, regulations and impacts on employee compensation as well as communications with regulatory bodies such as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and State Universities Retirement System (SURS), the College's pension program.
- Performs responsible managerial work in directing the activities of payroll employees involved in a variety of payroll recordkeeping tasks.
- Thoroughly understand all collective bargaining unit contracts and stay current on each contract to make changes to payroll as needed based on changes in such contracts.
- Responsible for development, modernization, maintenance, and compliance of payroll policies and procedures.
- Identifies systemic problems with the payroll functions and develops appropriate responses.
- Coordinates implementation of Payroll Banner modules and other Banner functionalities to improve payroll processes. Ellucian Banner is the College's financial system.
- Researches payroll-related issues, analyzes alternatives, recommends policy, and implements effective solutions efficiently and proactively.
- Work cross-functionally with other departments including Human Resources department for new hire processes, terminations, pay changes, and leaves of absence, and work with the Information Technology department to implement procedures to reduce identity theft, fraud and cybersecurity breaches related to Payroll.
- Act as the College's expert for the Banner Payroll System and lead cross functional teams to identify and test business processes and workflow within the Banner system. Develop employee communication, training materials and web/portal content.
- Cultivate and maintain excellent customer service for internal and external customers in the College Community; responding to inquiries timely and accurately.
- Participate in professional development training to stay up to date in the payroll field.
- Perform other duties job related as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Bachelor's degree required in Business, Accounting, or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is required. Professional payroll or financial certification preferred.
- Five years payroll processing experience as a lead for an organizational headcount 500+ is required. Familiarity with Ellucian Banner Payroll or another similar Payroll ERP is required.
- A high level of interpersonal and communication skills are required. Must be able to regularly explain policies, write and edit reports and coordinate the work of others.
- Requires the ability to mentally attend to and visually concentrate on a substantial amount of detail work.
- Intermediate word processing and advanced spreadsheet application skills are required intermediate competencies in the use of personal computer software including database, macros, and formula authoring skills are preferable.
- General office work environment. Little or no exposure if any to adverse working conditions.
Administrative supervision is received from the Controller.
Functional supervision is exercised payroll staff employees, and any part-time staff, consultants and student employees.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
SALARY: $70,399 Starting salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Oakton Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com