D'Youville invites nominations for, and inquiries and applications from, individuals interested in taking on a transformational leadership opportunity as Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs. Located on the vibrant, diverse West Side of Buffalo NY, D'Youville is an innovative, private, coeducational institution serving 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students.
D'Youville is immersed in ambitious and exciting change initiatives to reframe traditional practices and structures to further grow enrollment, improve the health of the community, and profoundly impact student success. D’Youville seeks a dynamic vice president and team member who will lead strategic visioning and support of the university’s initiatives, programs, and students.
The VP for Business and Financial Affairs is a member of the President’s Council and works closely with the president, vice presidents and emerging leadership team. The new vice president will assume the position around July 1, 2021 and will report to the President. Founded in 1908, D'Youville was the first college in Western New York to offer baccalaureate degree programs for women. Honoring its Catholic heritage and longstanding commitment to service, D'Youville welcomes students from every culture, faith and background. D’Youville seeks a vice president who understands the changing landscape of higher education, and who can provide compelling leadership. Buffalo, the second largest city in New York, is home to world renowned cultural attractions, two major and minor league professional sports teams, and year-round outdoor activities. D'Youville is located in close proximity to Lake Erie, Niagara Falls, and Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The VP for Business and Financial Affairs will provide leadership for financial, budgetary, accounting, investment, and risk management aspects of the university. This includes the business office, purchasing, student accounts, post-award grants administration and collection of loans and non-current student accounts. The VP for Business and Financial Affairs reports to the President and is responsible for:
- Serving as a strategic business advisor and counsel to the president and president’s council
- Projecting and reporting financial data analytics to support institutional decision-making
- Assuming day-to-day stewardship and responsibility for fiscal management of the university
- Setting vision and strategic financial leadership for a rapidly developing comprehensive university
- Providing staff support to the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities
The VP for Business and Financial Affairs will interact with university leaders on a daily basis. The three most critical paths for university stakeholders to interact with the VP for Business and Financial Affairs may include:
Partnering and Collaborating on Strategic Initiatives – The candidate will serve as a trusted business adviser who provides support for the President and President’s Council. This work includes:
- Recommending and implementing financial strategies and industry best-practices to achieve institutional priorities
- Internal and external communications to advance strategic financial agenda
- Interacting with all members of President’s Council, Board of Trustees, external partners and university stakeholders to plan, manage and allocate resources.
Ensuring Financial Stability – The candidate will have the skills and experience to ensure fiscal responsibility of the university and is responsible for:
- Strategic financial leadership of high-profile institutional projects
- Developing the annual operating budget and overseeing operational spending
- Serves as liaison to external auditors and the university’s investment manager
- Managing insurance related areas of the college and overseeing loss prevention
- Responsible for financial integrity of D’Youville and provide stewardship of the university’s financial and related services.
Building Relationships – The candidate will be connected with those reporting into President’s Council and others across the organization to influence outcomes:
- Build excellent relationships with other senior leaders and campus constituents
- Facilitate the mission of the university through business affairs
- Work consultatively and collaboratively to drive shepherd the university’s financial and business resources
- Serve as a campus listener to understand differing perspectives on resource issues and ensure that those opinions are considered in decision-making
- Working with VP Academic Affairs to foster shared governance and communication with faculty senate.
The VP for Business and Financial Affairs is responsible for carrying out the following duties:
Advisor to the President, President’s Council and Board of Trustees
- Advises the President’s Council on all financial and budgetary matters
- Strategic project preparation and follow up: working with the President and President’s Council to ensure leadership has all financial information needed to be as productive as possible
- Develop and execute business and financial strategies through data mining, benchmarking, and industry comparisons, focus groups, trends analyses, and risk assessments
- Monitoring information flow: ensuring the president’s involvement in strategic projects or decision-making process at the right moment, meanwhile upholding confidentiality of data to protect privacy of individuals and the university.
Strategic Planning and Financial Management
- Play a key role in the implementation of D’Youville’s Strategic Plan
- Leading annual budget planning sessions for President’s Council and university cost-centers
- Bring together multiple stakeholders and help drive financial solutions
- Researching, benchmarking, analyzing data and make recommendations
- Creating & updating university dashboards for reviewing key financial indicators
Hiring and Personnel Management
- Leading hiring processes: drafting & posting job descriptions, outlining an interview process, and screening candidates for roles reporting into the VP for Business and Financial Affairs
- Assisting with the onboarding and performance management of key business and financial services personnel.
- Master’s degree in business, finance, or related field from an accredited college or university
- Ten years of progressive responsible experience in an administrative position, financial management, planning, or an equivalent combination of training and experience as indicated above.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Experience
- Experience in executive administration or an equivalent training
- Demonstrated experience in supervisory role
- Comprehensive knowledge of fiscal management, methods and procedures
- Communication, organization and team building effectiveness
- Ability to advise effectively on fiscal policies
- Agility to effectively work with leadership and engage the campus community
- Honesty, integrity and confidentiality
- Critical thinking and analytic skills
- Sound professional judgment, courtesy and tact.
- Broad knowledge of higher education finance and trends is highly desirable
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com