The Department of Computer Science at Capitol Technology University invites applications for a full-time Assistant Professor of Computer Science position to start in or prior to August 2021. Basic Function and Responsibility:
Full-time faculty are professional educators with the primary responsibility of providing a quality learning experience for all Capitol Technology University students. Faculty report to a chairperson and perform instruction-related duties and responsibilities in a timely manner and in accordance with the mission, policies and procedures of the university. The relationship of the faculty member to the student is one of teacher and facilitator of learning.Duties:
The duties and responsibilities include: teaching and supporting the development of Computer Science (CS) programs (Computer Science, Data Science, Software Engineering & Information Technology), as well as, interfacing with other academic programs. Developing support for CS programs from local industry and professional groups will be expected. Responsibilities will also include developing course curriculum; recruiting and advising students; serving on departmental and university committees; teaching both lower and upper division undergraduate courses in computer science, particularly programming and related; experience in conducting computing capstone design projects in classroom and laboratory settings. The Department of Computer Science is looking for faculty candidates with a passion for teaching and desire to develop and support holistic student successTeaching and Learning
Recruitment and Retention
- In collaboration with the Department Chairs, and other full-time faculty in the Department, faculty are responsible for participating in the review and maintenance of the integrity of the curriculum offered by the Department.
- Teach assigned classes in accordance with current course outlines. Faculty will teach 27 credits per academic year unless a course reprieve(s) is/are approved by the Department Chairperson.
- Utilize LMS (Canvas) to support and document course materials and student evaluation.
- Review and update course outlines, text selection and syllabi for each course you teach that follows the guidelines established by Capitol Technology University. Use of the LMS is mandatory. Supply copies of all course materials to the Department Chair in a timely fashion.
- Propose and develop new courses as appropriate, and with the concurrence of the Department Chair.
- Modify curriculum and/or teaching style based on assessment results and professional development experiences. Document modifications based on assessment results.
- Participate in assessment of student academic achievement and feedback.
- Grade student submissions so that feedback can be used for subsequent assignments.
- Post and maintain office hours for student appointments as stated in the faculty handbook. A minimum of eight office hours is required each week, and subject to the approval of the Chair and Vice President for Academic Affairs or designee. Conference or office hours are essential for assisting students in achieving their learning goals.
- The faculty member will serve as an academic advisor to students, including course selection and academic projects.
- The faculty member will participate in the mentoring of students with regards to career goals, appropriateness of degree program, etc.
- Support instructional standards in accordance with University policies
- Work with the Chair to arrange for the acquisition all materials and equipment in a timely manner necessary to meet course objectives.
- Prepare all course materials necessary to meet course objectives in a timely manner.
- Syllabi are to be posted in the LMS (Canvas) no later than two weeks prior to the start of class.
- Responsible for the completion and submission of textbook orders in a timely manner. Book changes must be submitted to your department chair in accordance with the following:
- Books changes must be submitted for review by the Department Chair by March 1st (prior to posting of the summer and fall and fall schedules) for use in the next academic year. This is a necessary deadline to remain compliant with laws regarding textbooks. Academics does not administer this policy, rather the Vice President responsible for the Office of the Registrar manages compliance with this policy.
- It is not recommended that textbooks be changed during an academic year, but with compelling reasons it will be considered.
- Maintain certificates and/or licenses necessary for employment eligibility.
- Maintain acceptable standards of conduct for the profession, as defined in University policy.
- Maintain accreditation standards and reporting.
- Other duties to support instruction, as assigned.
The faculty member will be involved in student recruitment and be supportive of students' learning goals by:
- Focusing on student learning outcomes.
- Taking into account the needs, abilities, and learning styles of the students.
- Actively using the Early Alert Program (Dropout Detective).
- Making reasonable provisions to accommodate individual differences.
- Adhering to the retention policy of the University as outlined by the Chief Academic Officer of Capitol Technology University.
- Participate in recruiting and marketing (each faculty member is expected to be engaged with at least one recruitment activity per semester.) This includes activities such as attending high school and community college recruitment visits in addition to making phone calls to potential students and responding to email applicants.
- Be directly involved with building undergraduate and graduate program enrollment and work closely with the admissions office to support their enrollment needs.
Faculty will engage in activities that promote the cohesiveness of the learning community or enhance the relationship of the University and the broader community, or a combination of both. Such activities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Attend University and department meetings.
- Participate in University and division/department committee membership.
- Participate in curriculum development and instructional innovation.
- Mentor other faculty as appropriate.
- Attend commencement, convocation and other university-sponsored programs.
- Participate in at least one open house per semester.
- Actively engage grant opportunities (where appropriate).
- Sponsor service learning or internship projects.
- Sponsor student activities such as clubs and organizations.
Faculty will participate in activities that enhance individual personal and professional growth and renewal. Such activities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain an awareness of new instructional technology and advances in teaching and learning theory, and apply where appropriate.
- Acquire new skills for program enhancement and development.
- Participate in evaluative process for self, department and program.
- Attend and participate in professional development workshops as the budget allows.
- Conduct independent readings beyond that necessary to meet normal course preparation requirements.
- A Masters or above in Computer Science or a closely related field is required.
- Candidates must have strong commitment to undergraduate education along with a demonstrated ability to pursue scholarly activities.
- Teaching experience at the college/university level. Knowledge of and teaching experience in a number or preferably all of the following: Python, Java, C, C++, data structures, Cisco networking and relational database.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to support ABET and other continuous improvement processes.
- A willingness to work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Experience with sponsored research and/or previous industrial experience.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English are required.
Applicants must electronically submit a curriculum vitae, a cover letter that addresses how you meet the required qualifications for the position, a statement of teaching philosophy, and interest in existing and new undergraduate courses, and the names and contact information for three references.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
To Apply: Please use the "Apply" Button Below or see the Job Description Above
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com.
Be first to receive notifications of new jobs in your specific area by signing up for Job Alerts Here.