Physician Assistant Clinical Assistant Professor/Coordinator
General Statement of Duties:
The D’Youville College Physician Assistant Department is seeking a team-oriented, motivated and innovative leader for a core faculty position. This is a 12-month position on a clinical track line, Clinical Assistant Professor rank. The faculty member for this position will be responsible for developing, reviewing and revising as necessary the mission statement for the program, selecting applicants for admission to the PA program, providing student instruction across the PA curriculum, academic counseling of students, assuring the availability of remedial instruction, designing, implementing, coordinating, evaluating curriculum, and evaluating the program.
Distinguishing Features of the Position: The position reports directly to the Program Director/Chair. Special skills required for this position include: working knowledge of hospital operations and preceptor involvement; the ability to write policy and procedures; the ability to communicate with and relate to individuals at various levels of health care administration; and the ability to work closely with students in addressing identified areas of deficiency in clinical and academic performance.
The Clinical Coordinator will be responsible for establishing clinical sites, placing students in their clinical clerkship rotations, assuring fair student evaluation, continuously reviewing clinical training sites, reviewing the general effectiveness of the rotation experiences and responding to any concerns regarding specific rotation sites, and providing ongoing clinical enrichment opportunities for students during the clinical phase of the program.
The candidate must be a graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant program, be NCCPA certified and licensed to practice in New York State. Three years of clinical experience is required; teaching experience strongly preferred. Master’s degree required.
Examples of Duties: Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Teach 24 credit hours within the professional phase of the PA program
- Cultivate and establish clinical teaching sites.
- Work closely with Program Coordinator or designee regarding scheduling of clinical rotations, status of affiliation agreements, and maintenance of affiliation with clinical sites.
- Monitor all clinical clerkships and make suggestions for revision as needed.
- Create, review, and revise the program’s Clinical and Graduate Phase Student Manual as needed.
- Conduct routine clinical site visits and additional clinical site visits based on difficulties identified by the student or preceptor during clinical phase of the program; and complete proper documentation of site visits.
- Evaluate and document student progress in the acquisition of clinical knowledge and development of related clinical skills.
- Prepare and correct student examinations for each rotation and core clinical topic, including 12 rotation exams and 12 core exams per year.
- Counsel students regarding evaluations or problems encountered during a particular rotation; oversee individual remediation of students who have received a failing or borderline rotation evaluation, or have not met minimum core and rotation examination grade requirements.
- Report student progress directly to the Program Director on a regular basis and/or as needed.
- Calculate and submit clinical rotation grades according to the College schedule.
- Periodically review the evaluation instruments for students, preceptors, and clinical sites, and make any necessary revisions in keeping with ARC-PA standards.
- Assist with the identification of employment opportunities for PA Department graduates.
- Administer the Physician Assistant Clinical Knowledge Rating and Assessment Tool (PACKRAT) Examination to 3rd and 4th Year students, and oversee remediation of 4th Year students who do not pass this required examination.
- Prepare and deliver scheduled clinical lectures to 3rd Year students.
- Participate in Proficiency Testing of 3rd Year students.
- Review monthly preceptor evaluations of students and student evaluations of clinical sites.
- Prepare and deliver scheduled clinical enrichment lectures and exam review sessions to 4th/5th Year students.
- Participate in distance learning instruction for the 4th/5th Year students
- Organize monthly Senior Seminar Days and bi-annual Senior Seminar Weeks for 4th/5th Year students and present ongoing clinical enrichment sessions.
- Participate in all program committees (accreditation, curriculum development, student progress, admissions, advisement, etc.)
- Participate in curriculum planning to assure correlation of academic course work with the clinical training component.
- Attend regular PA Program and professional meetings (e.g., PAEA National Conference)
- Serve as faculty advisor for PA students as assigned
- Oversee Virtual Journal Club submissions by students during clinical phase of program.
- Collect and update information about available post-graduate clinical residency programs for physician assistant graduates.
- Analyze PANCE and PACKRAT outcome data; present results to department faculty for further consideration and to inform ongoing curricular assessment.
- Analyze exit surveys and present results to the Program Director and department faculty for further consideration and to inform ongoing curricular assessment.
- Participate in program and college service learning initiatives
- Participate in school-wide and college level committee membership as necesscacary to meet the requirements of contract renewal.
- Participate in continuing education, presentations, contributions to publications and leadership in professional organizations
- Participate in professional organizations, community outreach efforts and civic service groups.
How to Apply
APPLICATION DEADLINE: This is an open until filled search. First consideration will be given to applications received by May 31. Second consideration may be given to applications received by June 30, 2021.
Candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com