Job Summary: The Vice President of Marketing leads the overall marketing and communications functions of Otis College including otis.edu, social media, advertising, email marketing, direct mail, and other outlets, with the goal of increasing exposure and brand recognition. This position leads staff, manages budget development and administration, is a member of the Senior Leadership Team, and participates in College-wide strategic planning for communication and marketing efforts. This position reports directly to the President.
● Designs and develops marketing goals and strategies for the College. Plans, implements, and manages programs and projects to enhance public awareness of the College and the faculty, students, staff, and/or alumni of the College.
● Develops College-wide short-term and long-range marketing plans and works with the AVP for Communications and External Relations on strategic communication plans.
● Manages the AVP for Communications and External Relations, as well as designated marketing staff. Indirectly supervises all department staff. Recruits, screens, hires, and trains direct reports and contributes to the process for non-direct reports. Evaluates employee performance and provides guidance and feedback to staff. Determines staffing needs based on goals and objectives of the department. Determines and/or recommends salary administration including raises, promotions, and reclassifications.
● Leads the planning, writing, editing, production, and distribution promotional materials for marketing purposes (i.e., direct mail, multimedia, social media, community relations, promotional activities, special events, etc.).
● Develops and administers the budget for the department. Approves department expenditures. Provides projections and reports for budget development and administration purposes.
● Leads special marketing campaigns such as the Creative Futures School Awards, special scholarship initiatives, and marketing partnerships.
● Develops public relations and marketing calendars in consultation with the AVP for Communications and External Relations. Determines schedules and deadlines. Ensures successful, timely completion of programs and projects.
● Determines key markets and audiences and develops and implements market research instruments and/or utilizes standard market research instruments to collect and analyze information necessary to market College programs and/or personnel.
● Leads implementation of a customer relations management (CRM) solution to support marketing initiatives.
● Leads BFA and MFA marketing outreach in consultation with enrollment management to grow completed applications by 20% over the next several years.
● Support the development and growth of the Otis Design Lab, an entrepreneurial initiative that acts like an internship at a commercial art and design studio for Otis students. The Lab provides valuable work/life experience while enhancing student’s preparation for their careers.
● Leads efforts to market Extension programs including adult and youth courses and certificate programs, increasing enrollment in all programs and advising on new initiatives.
● Develops and produces annual report highlighting marketing efforts and public relations activities for the College.
● Evaluates and hires vendors needed to produce marketing materials and attain marketing objectives.
● Represents the College or department at Board meetings, conferences, seminars, and other events. Informs Board members and committees of College-wide communication and marketing efforts. Co-facilitates the IA and Marketing Board Committee with the VP of Institutional Advancement.
● Represents the department on the College’s Senior Leadership Team and serves as an advisor to the President on strategic communications and marketing initiatives.
● Establishes and maintains an appropriate network of professional contacts such as media representatives, community leaders, and other professional contacts. Maintains currency with professional organizations and publications.
● Serves as the official spokesperson for the College in the absence of the President.
● Performs other related duties as assigned. Must be responsive to work-related phone calls and emails during non-business hours on occasion.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required with a minimum of 10 years of related work experience in marketing. Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, concepts, methodology, and techniques of marketing and management required. Demonstrated superior interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills required. Demonstrated experience in and a commitment to diversity. Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with various constituencies within Otis’s diverse communities, internally and externally. Must be able to work efficiently, cooperatively and collaboratively in a team environment. Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability to a changing work environment. Experience in effective project management required. Experience in higher education is desired.
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Otis College of Art and Design, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Otis College of Art and Design and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com