Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The Bioinformatics Analyst I position is responsible for bioinformatics and computational biology in support of the Bioinformatics Specialist, Principal Investigator (PI) and lab research goals. Range of duties include, but is not limited to, writing and developing computer code, data analysis, data QC, and data management including data archiving. Performs computational approaches involved in data analysis of single cell datasets such as snmC-seq datasets. Applies computational and statistical methods for big-data analysis. As needed, provides support on programming and analysis tasks from senior level Bioinformaticians.
Bioinformatics Analysis (90%)
- Perform computational data analysis on various types of datasets.
- Independently write and develop software code using various coding languages for various purposes.
- Perform statistical tests on large and small scale datasets.
- Provide support to existing personnel for data analysis.
- Testing and optimizing existing software code.
- Perform QC on various types of datasets.
- Interact constantly with members of the team and present progress and results.
- Work effectively and efficiently work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Write detailed protocols, documentation and reports for various activities performed.
(10%) Support for lab compute infrastructure
- Provide support for managing and/or performing maintenance of existing compute infrastructure
- Write protocols, documentation and reports for various compute infrastructure aspects, if needed.
- Typically requires a minimum of 1 year of relevant bioinformatics experience after a Bachelor's degree.
- Hands-on work experience in statistics and bioinformatics methods.
- Relevant experience acquired through education and/or profession must include: proficiency in Python programming; fluency in at least 2 common programming languages (Bash, AWK, or R); next-generation sequencing technologies and assays; and high performance computing (e.g., SGE environment)
- Experience communicating effectively with various levels of staff
- Minimum 6 months of experience on DNA methylation datasets and/or single cell datasets
- Minimum of 1 year analysis experience with NGS / High-throughput sequencing data analysis
- Experience in biology
- Bachelor's degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, biological sciences, bioengineering, mathematics, statistics or related discipline.
- Master's degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, biological sciences, bioengineering, mathematics, statistics or related discipline.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proven organizational and time management skills to successfully set priorities, meet established deadlines and recognize new problems with constantly changing priorities and frequent interruptions.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) needed to interact professionally and effectively in the work environment. Ability to read, comprehend, and discuss research materials. Proven ability to write, edit and proofread research results. Skill at explaining difficult concepts and training users and students.
- Ability to interact diplomatically and professionally with all levels of Institute staff and external contacts.
- Ability to identify, download, install, troubleshoot and assess new analysis tools.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with MAC or Linux/UNIX operating systems.
- Experience applying machine learning approaches for data integration and data mining.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of biological sciences (particularly genetic and molecular biology).
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign confidentiality agreement
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be a U.S. Person to work on certain DoD-funded programs.
This position requires constant adjusting focus, grasping, handling, heading, keying, seeing, sitting, talking, touching/feeling, analyzing, calculating, communicating, reading, reasoning, writing, and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com