Come join an innovative team! Located on the vibrant, diverse West Side of Buffalo NY, D’Youville is an innovative, private, coeducational institution serving 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students. D’Youville is immersed in ambitious and exciting change initiatives to reframe traditional practices and structures to further grow enrollment, improve the health of the community, and profoundly impact student success.
Over that last three-years D’Youville has launched 15 new online degrees and continues our strategic plan to rapidly expand our portfolio of online programs. This is a tremendous opportunity for a talented and motivated individual to contribute to a growing team. The right individual will be able to contribute to a best-in-class experience for our online students.
The Online Academic Advisor will report to the Dean of Online Learning as well as collaborate with the Office of Academic Advising. The Online Academic Advisor will have an essential role in serving students by providing information and advice on university and departmental policies and procedures.
- Serve as a one-stop shop to ensure all online students’ needs, questions and concerns are addressed and answered.
- Guide new and continuing online students on information regarding advisement and multi-semester registration.
- Assist students with setting and maintaining personal and educational goals.
- Monitor student retention activity such as student performance, class participation, goals as well as student communication patterns to assign retention risk status.
- Provide students with an educational plan from entry to D’Youville through graduation by helping define and develop realistic educational goals considering every students’ unique situation.
- Guide students who may be having academic difficulty utilizing Educational Advisory Board (EAB) Software.
- Monitor students’ progress toward degree each semester to ensure satisfactory grades and GPA requirements.
- Inform and refer students to other institutional resources when academic, attendance, or other personal problems require intervention by other D’Youville professionals (e.g. Personal Counseling, Tutoring Services, etc.).
- Maintain close coordination and collaboration with individual departments/schools; keep up-to-date records and provide reports as necessary to individual departments/schools.
- Participate fully within the university community, provide consultation, training, and outreach to students, faculty, and staff when necessary.
- Stay abreast of changing institutional information including new programs, course changes, important dates, costs, and updates in university-wide initiatives and polices.
Knowledge and Abilities- Required competencies, proficiencies, specialized knowledge, technology skills, etc.
- Experience with academic advisement and/or student support services.
- Familiar with Higher Education and Learning Management Systems
- Strong oral and written communication and demonstrated human relation skills
- Demonstrated troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Ability to use a personal computer and Internet experience essential. Capable to work remote web media for remote communications and presentations
- Strong multi-tasking skills competencies required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum two years’ experience involving extensive student contact in a student services role at a two or four-year institution. Experience supporting online learners preferred
- Possess strong organizational and communication skills.
- Represent and promote the college in a competitive environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Skilled at connecting and building rapport with students
- Successfully resolve student issues from request through resolution
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com