Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all position (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The Research Assistant I position is responsible for performing gene sequencing techniques and general lab support. Our laboratory works on many large-scale genomics projects and therefore has a considerable amount of automation involved in sequencing library construction. This position requires much work with a robotic pipetting system to generate thousands of sequencing libraries each week. Other duties include general laboratory maintenance, coordination with other labs and FACS core for cell sorting, participation in regular team meetings to discuss progress, and well-organized LIMS and data recording.
(100%) Research and Lab Support
- Performs routine gene sequencing techniques, with guidance on performing more complex techniques.
- Works with robot pipetting system to generate thousands of sequencing libraries each week.
- Performs general laboratory maintenance.
- Coordinates with other Salk labs and FACS core for cell sorting.
- Participates in team meetings to discuss ongoing projects and progress.
- Maintains well - organized LIMS and data recording.
- No professional experience required with relevant degree.
- Strongly prefer 1 year of experience as a lab technician or equivalent related experience.
- Experience with robotic liquid handling like Tecan and Biomek, as well as an understanding of next generation sequencing (NGS) techniques.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field or equivalent related experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands on knowledge of molecular biology techniques acquired via relevant education and/or work experience.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Ability to learn and carry out new experimental procedures with accuracy and efficiency. Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and/or written protocols, including follow-up on previously begun procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to record data accurately and enter into appropriate medium.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with both PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Proficiency with common office software applications as well as software applications used for research, recording, and analysis.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking, adept to changing priorities
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Willing to sign a confidentiality agreement
This position requires constant adjusting focus, grasping, handling, hearing, seeing, standing, communicating, reading, reasoning, and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com