Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Job location is in Salk North (Torrey Pines)
Under the direct supervision of the Sr. Director, Human Resources (HR), this position will provide experienced support to the Sr. Director and general HR operations in a high-volume environment. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with excellent attention to detail, leveraging strong organizational skills to manage shifting priorities and effective communication skills to coordinate with a broad spectrum of internal and external stakeholders.
HR Operations and Administrative Support (60%)
- Serves as initial point of contact for in-person HR visitors, addressing routine questions or directing them to the appropriate HR contact. May coordinate visitor registration with Security Department and provide visitors with directions.
- In collaboration with Recruiting team, coordinates scheduling and requirements for new hire orientation, such as refreshments, presentation materials, and media support, if needed.
- Monitors HR general email inbox and/or current HR ticketing system, responds to routine inquiries, and escalates matters to other HR contacts as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Answers HR general phone line, responds to routine inquiries, and escalates matters to other HR contacts as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Photocopies, scans, prints, and faxes both general and sensitive documents.
- Participates in HR team meetings and may maintain agenda and minutes for meetings.
- Schedule meetings and meeting rooms as needed.
- Assist with mail and package preparation, shipping, and sorting.
- Supports HR staff as needed during peak periods, absences, and position vacancies, as necessary.
- Assists with projects (e.g., annual service awards) as assigned.
- Schedules and coordinates arrangements for HR department/team events.
- Orders office supplies, materials, and equipment, maintains inventory, and performs basic troubleshooting of office equipment.
- Liaises with internal departments such Facilities and Information Technology to initiate and schedule work/service orders, and schedules services with outside vendors.
- As needed, supports learning and development activities such as scheduling of events, registering and tracking attendees, maintaining training records, and running reports.
- As needed, reviews personnel documentation such as education certifications, and processes updates in the HRIS/HCM system as appropriate
- Reviews, escalates if needed, and processes requests for Lab Reporting Tool or other electronic applications requiring HR-approved access.
- General administrative duties as assigned.
Executive Support (40%)
- Serves as the primary administrative contact supporting Sr. Director.
- Maintains Sr. Director's calendar and various department calendars as needed.
- At the direction of Sr. Director, may assist with managing emails and inquiries addressed to the attention of the Sr. Director.
- Maintains department budget information and tracks expenses.
- Processes and reviews credit card expenditures.
- Creates and maintains department accounts with external vendors.
- Processes invoices and enters information into Procurement and Accounting system (Salk Shop).
- Assist with organizing and executing projects as needed.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional work experience in an administrative support or management assistant role.
- Experience providing support in a HR department.
- Experience with Ultipro or comparable HRIS/HCM system
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field such Business Administration or equivalent.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Exercise sound judgment in executing work and determining appropriate course of action in accordance with HR policies and procedures and/or guidance from more experience HR staff.
- Ability to quickly intake and analyze information, determine if additional information is needed, and take the appropriate course of action to resolve problems.
- Strong computer proficiency with the use of various software applications including, but not limited to Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact constructively and effectively with a diverse spectrum of internal and external contacts.
- Demonstrated professionalism and customer service skills to respond in a thoughtful, prompt, and accurate manner. Must have strong phone etiquette and email/written composition skills to include knowledge of proper formats, grammar, and spelling.
- Must be a fast learner, be adaptable to changes and ideas, and discuss questions and solutions in a collaborative manner.
- Demonstrated ability to follow oral and written instructions, seek instruction when appropriate before taking actions, and use sound judgment when needed if instruction is not immediately available.
- Demonstrated ability to organize records and accurately extract, compile, review, and apply data from a variety of sources including documents, emails, and computer applications/systems.
- Strong organizational skills, with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines despite frequent interruptions and changing priorities and demands.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive matters discreetly. Ability to follow and adhere to policies and procedures concerning confidentiality, security and retention of information and systems.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Must be willing to work overtime based on operational needs.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will be constantly seeing, reasoning, working in confined areas and inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com