Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Position available in the Hargreaves Lab for overall lab management duties in support of the Principal Investigator's (PI) studies. General lab maintenance duties include maintaining adequate inventory of materials and equipment to ensure adequate supplies for experimental needs, ordering supplies, taking inventory, upkeep and safety. Position is also responsible for performing various molecular biology, biochemistry, and cell biology techniques in support of lab and PI research goals. Range of duties include, but is not limited to: conducting procedures, modifying procedures as needed, data collection and analysis, tissue culture, recombinant DNA techniques and laboratory maintenance.
(50%) Molecular Biology Techniques
- Perform chromatin immunoprecipitation, RNA purification, next-generation library preparation, ATAC-seq, CUT&RUN, CUT&TAG, and RT-qPCR for the study of epigenetic regulators.
- Immunoprecipitation, Western blotting, gel electrophoresis, small and large scale DNA purification, cloning, and cell staining.
- Molecular cloning to mutate genes and express mutated genes in cells, for example using CRIPSR/Cas 9 engineering.
(40%) Tissue Culture
- Culturing of various mammalian cell types including primary mouse cells and human cancer cell lines.
- Production of lentiviruses.
- Perform transfections and lentiviral infection for overexpression/knockdown in various cell types.
- Isolation of protein, DNA, and RNA from cells.
- Perform immunofluorescence
(10%) Lab Support
- Order general lab supplies and prepare stocks and reagents for common use.
- Manage and perform maintenance of mouse colony including setting up breeders.
- Manage lab equipment.
- Attend lab meetings and assist in general problem solving.
- Prepare PowerPoint slides detailing results for presentation.
- Train new lab members.
- Bachelor's degree of science in Biology/Chemistry and/or related field.
- No professional experience required with relevant degree
- Previous experience as a lab technician or equivalent
- Experience with next-generation sequencing library preparation a plus
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands-on knowledge of cell maintenance and molecular biology techniques.
- Theoretical knowledge of biological sciences; genetic linkage analysis methods; Mendelian genetics and molecular biological techniques, including the polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Ability to independently design experiments and debug protocols.
- Ability to manage and track large numbers of samples meticulously without mixup or cross contamination.
- Knowledge of standard laboratory management and safety procedures.
- Ability to make independent decisions, analyze situations, and solve problems.
- Analytical and critical thinking skills to identify and communicate problems.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Ability to communicate and act as a liaison with a diverse audience of professionals.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; interact with all levels of management and employees across multiple departments.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in a mammalian cell biology-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
This position requires constant adjusting focus, grasping, hearing, keying, seeing, sitting, talking, analyzing, calculating, communicating, reading, reasoning, writing, and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com