Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Job location is in Salk North (Torrey Pines)
Under the direct supervision of a Manager of Human Resources (HR), this position is responsible for providing experienced support to a high-volume HR team. Supports various HR functions, including but not limited to onboarding and hiring, employment and personnel maintenance, and general HR operations. The ideal candidate will be a motivated learner and demonstrate excellent attention to detail, leveraging strong organizational skills to manage shifting priorities and effective communication skills to coordinate with a broad spectrum of internal and external stakeholders.
Onboarding and New Hire Support (45%)
- Works closely with Recruiting team, Immigration Services team, HR Partners/Managers, and hiring departments to transition candidates from employment offer or assignment invitation through onboarding and hire process.
- Onboarding and hiring tasks may include: (1) confirming start date and orientation plans with various parties, (2) triggering, monitoring, and completing onboarding actions in HCM/HRIS system, (3) completing Form I-9 and other onboarding documentation for new personnel, (4) coordinating information with partnering departments such as Security, Payroll, Information Technology (IT), and Environmental Health &Safety (EH&S), (5) compiling hire/rehire information, then entering and reviewing/auditing in HCM/HRIS system, (6) tracking and entering referral bonuses; and (7) assisting new personnel with routine questions and/or directing them to appropriate resources.
- Prepares and sends new hire reporting to CA Employment Development Department (EDD).
Employment and Personnel Assignment Support (45%)
- Works closely with HR Partners/Managers to provide high-level administrative support to various HR actions throughout the personnel lifecycle.
- Compiling, entering, and reviewing/auditing personnel information in HCM/HRIS system to include job changes, compensation changes, and terminations.
- Creates and maintains personnel records in electronic and/or hardcopy formats, to include tracking and organizing personnel documents.
- Prepares employment verification documents for requesting personnel and authorized external parties.
- Prepares exit packets and schedules exit meetings as appropriate.
- Assist with monitoring assignment end dates and triggering action items for temporary personnel.
- Prepares other employment documents as needed at the request of HR Partners/Managers.
- Coordinates with partnering departments such as Security, Payroll/Finance, IT, and EH&S as needed.
- Generates, configures, and distributes routine reports from HCM/HRIS system as needed.
- Provides constructive input to internal HR business processes and HCM/HRIS system processes, in particular as related to new hires and personnel changes.
- May administer portions of volunteer, intern, and student programs to include document review, onboarding, and exits.
Other and Administrative Support (10%)
- Serves as a back-up to other support staff as needed to include some tasks below.
- Monitors HR general email inbox and/or current HR ticketing system, responds to routine inquiries, and escalates matters to other HR contacts as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Answers HR general phone line, responds to routine inquiries, and escalates matters to other HR contacts as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Photocopies, scans, prints, and faxes both general and sensitive documents.
- Participates in HR team meetings and may maintain agenda and minutes for meetings.
- Schedule meetings and meeting rooms as needed.
- May serve as initial point of contact for in-person HR visitors, addressing routine questions or directing them to the appropriate HR contact.
- May assist with mail and package preparation, shipping, and sorting.
- Supports HR staff as needed during peak periods, absences, and position vacancies, as necessary.
- Assists with projects (e.g., annual service awards) as assigned.
- General administrative duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional work experience in HR support, academic personnel support, student affairs, or a closely related field.
- Experience with HCM/HRIS systems such as Ultipro.
- Experience providing support to a HR generalist or multi-disciplinary HR department.
- Experience with Ultipro.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field such Business Administration or equivalent.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Exercise sound judgment in executing work and determining appropriate course of action in accordance with HR policies and procedures and/or guidance from more experience HR staff.
- Ability to quickly intake and analyze information, determine if additional information is needed, and take the appropriate course of action to resolve problems.
- Strong experience with HCM/HRIS systems to include demonstrated skill and accuracy in data entry and maintenance.
- Strong computer proficiency with the use of various software applications including, but not limited to Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact constructively and effectively with a diverse spectrum of internal and external contacts.
- Demonstrated professionalism and customer service skills to respond in a thoughtful, prompt, and accurate manner. Must have strong phone etiquette and email/written composition skills to include knowledge of proper formats, grammar, and spelling.
- Must be a fast learner, be adaptable to changes and ideas, and discuss questions and solutions in a collaborative manner.
- Demonstrated ability to follow oral and written instructions, seek instruction when appropriate before taking actions, and use sound judgment when needed if instruction is not immediately available.
- Demonstrated ability to organize records and accurately extract, compile, review, and apply data from a variety of sources including documents, emails, and computer applications/systems.
- Strong organizational skills, with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines despite frequent interruptions and changing priorities and demands.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive matters discreetly. Ability to follow and adhere to policies and procedures concerning confidentiality, security and retention of information and systems.
- Demonstrated aptitude in HR and interest in continuing to pursue professional growth within the discipline.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Must be willing to work overtime based on operational needs.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position requires constant seeing, reasoning, working in confined areas and inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com