Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Job location is in Salk North (Torrey Pines)
This position works independently in performing the duties of the position.
Under the general direction of the Controller, position exercises considerable initiative and judgement in planning and carrying out assignments. Ensures confidentiality of information and sensitive documents, follows accounting principles, and exercises sound judgment. The position will collect, monitor, and analyze fringe benefit data; monitor variances; recommend actions to management.
Position prepares fringe benefit invoices for payment and resolves invoice/system discrepancies. Reconciles benefit deductions to fringe benefit invoice payments in the general ledger. Prepares schedules for benefit plan audit, financial statement audit, and tax return. Prepares various month-end close journals. Prepares monthly property entries, monthly fixed assets reconciliation, and physical inventory (every two years). Prepares monthly bank reconciliation. Handles escheatment for all bank accounts. Manages all property tax related duties. Prepares financial statements and tax returns for related organization (CSC). Reviews cash receipts journals and prepares monthly cash contribution reconciliation. Assists on special projects.
- Prepares multiple fringe benefit invoices for payment and works to resolve variances.
- Reconciles benefit deductions to fringe benefit invoice payments in the general ledger.
- Prepares various month-end close journals.
- Prepares monthly fixed asset transactions entries and monthly reconciliation and administers the physical inventory (every two years).
- Reviews cash receipts journals and prepares monthly cash contribution reconciliation.
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliation.
- Handles escheatment process for all bank accounts.
- Prepares audit schedules for annual financial statement audit.
- Prepares and files all property tax related reporting.
- Prepares schedules for the annual tax return.
- Prepares financial statements and tax returns for related organization (CSC).
- Provide recommendations for process improvement and policy development.
- Partners with Controller, CFO, Sr. Director of Finance, and Director of Financial Information Systems, on special projects as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in accounting or finance, or CPA license and a minimum of 2 years of professional experience
- Some experience interpreting reports and analyzing data with attention to detail.
- Proven working experience as a financial analyst.
- Certified Public Accountant.
- Experience with SunGard Banner finance system.
- Experience managing multiple, complex projects.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related work experience in accounting, payroll or finance.
- Advanced degree in accounting or related field.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent analytical and qualitative skills.
- Ability to interpret reports and analyze data with attention to detail.
- Ability to interpret data as it relates to issue at hand and provide data in a meaningful format to management and/or outside parties.
- Demonstrated strong problem solving skills including the ability to recommend options and implement solutions.
- Professional presence and strong interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to work effectively with internal and external partners. Interpersonal skills must include tact, good judgement, diplomacy, and flexibility in relating to a diverse scientific research staff, faculty, and staff personnel at all levels of the Institute.
- Ability to work well and under pressure in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong initiative with excellent organizational, analytical, time-management, and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong attention to detail, problem solving and reconciliation skills.
- Ability to complete projects timely and accurately.
- Moderate to advanced skills in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook). Demonstrated skill in use of computerized systems for generating reports and tracking activity.
- Strong functional knowledge of accounting policies, and DOL and IRS regulations.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work at a location away from the main campus (but within walking distance) and travel to and from campus as needed (parking is available at both locations).
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Completion and signing of confidentiality agreement.
- CPA designation preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will be constantly adjusting focus, grasping, seeing, sitting, analyzing, calculating, reading, reasoning and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com