Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Reporting to the Sr Director, Facility Services, provides professional planning and design of the Institute's facilities. Recognized as expert within field of facilities planning and space management, applies knowledge in emerging trends and influences best practices within field to avoid critical impact to scientific programs.
Incumbent must be able to work without supervision maintaining latitude for independent judgement, and able to mentor less-experienced team members providing leadership as needed.
Administrative Operations (40%)
- Develops program requirements, conceptual layouts, and detailed design criteria for laboratory facilities. Develops and maintains space and design/construction standards.
- Plans and designs laboratories, vivarium, administrative, and general purpose areas. Independently collects data, analyzes the projects goals and objectives, and organizes to assist other disciplines involved in the design process.
- Evaluates specific types of lab equipment, cabinets and casework, and aids the client in selecting casework and equipment for their individual laboratory environments.
- Prepares contract documents and specifications for technical projects while insuring compatibility with drawings and technical conditions.
- Writes technical specifications in compliance with acceptable standards and existing laws, rules and regulations.
- Recommends specifications requirements and content and oversees the production of completed documents and specifications.
- Applies advanced technical theories in the development of new principles and concepts.
- Operates and maintains space data by utilizing the Institute Facilities Asset Management Systems (FAMS).
- Provides budgetary input to the Sr. Director Facility Services.
Construction Project Management (25%)
- Provides leadership in administration of contractors and service providers in the delivery of project development and construction activities.
- Coordinates with Facility Services Managers and others as appropriate to develop and design such projects. Coordinates the provision of customer service as needed to occupants of areas under construction during working hours.
- Works with department managers, FS Const Services, laboratory clients and others as appropriate to monitor installation of architectural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment and systems by both outside contractors and Institute personnel to insure compliance with Institute quality standards and proper operation.
Space Management (25%)
- Provides departmental budgetary input to the Sr. Director. Performs other related duties as assigned by the Sr. Director.
- Operates and maintains space data by utilizing the Institute Facilities Asset Management Systems (FAMS). Assigns or classifies space according to pertinent standards and procedures.
- Provides information or reports on current room utilization and dimensions.
- Maintains information or data on new construction, renovations and various remodeling.
- Conducts space feasibility and utilization studies and prepares report on findings. Maintains detailed space utilization data and inventory.
- Researches and compiles data for various reports; assists in the preparation of comprehensive, highly technical or complex reports and analyses.
- Recommends changes in space assignment and facilities inventory processing to Space Committee.
- Assists management in identification of problems, trends or future space needs and makes recommendations. Works closely with others to plan room layout to include furniture, equipment, telecommunications or other pertinent needs.
- Coordinates changes in facility environment and support systems; notifies management of trends or problems; tracks and ensures resolution of problems.
Other Duties (10%)
- Serves as the staff officer to the Capital Planning Committee.
- Serves as the senior member of the Facilities Services Staff in the absence of the Sr. Director and Assistant Director and as directed by the Sr. Director.
- Serves on special advisory to management, customers, ad hoc committees and organizations as requested by the administration.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum 15 years applicable lab planning experience
- Experience and/or interest in sustainable design/LEED
- Bachelors degree in a Science field, Architecture, or Facilities Planning and Design or equivalent.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work on unusually complex technical problems and provide innovative solutions.
- Able to work under consultive direction toward predetermined goals and objectives.
- Knowledgeable of FDA cGMP/cGLP requirements, AAALAC guidelines, NIH guidelines, various lab planning approaches and general equipment types and requirements. Ability to translate client needs into functional technical spaces, and determine space demand and capacity. Ability to read and navigate through construction and related contract documents. Demonstrated project planning skills. Knowledge and understanding of mechanical, electrical, structural, and civil engineering design principles.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local codes and ordinances pertinent to facilities planning, design, construction and maintenance or ability to quickly locate pertinent information. Knowledge of engineering records management principles and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing (including electronic written communication) with staff, faculty, researchers, students and administrative management. Ability to make objective administrative decisions based on comparative cost-benefit analyses. Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment. Experience supervising, training and mentoring staff, including organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Project and Power Point, Proficient with database usage, preferably File Maker Pro, Familiarity with either Macintosh and PC computers. Proficient in AutoCAD and BIM.
- Background in construction and related accounting functions. Knowledge of common administrative office methods, procedures and practices related to customer service and facilities operations.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle and to present a valid California Driver License.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Able to occasionally work a flexible schedule based on workload and deadlines. Competent in Facility Management.
- Is considered an essential employee as defined in the Facilities Business Resumption Policy
- Willingness to work in any or all of the following environments: Facilities where animals are housed, Laboratories where research using blood-borne pathogens and/or radioactive bio-hazardous substances are stored.
- Willing to sign an employee confidentiality agreement.
- Must be willing to maintain First Aide/CPR/AED training/certification.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background check investigation, including a MVR.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
As a safeguard for employees and animals, all FS employees may be subject to vaccines/tests/physical exams prior to working with specific animals or animal populations as required by research needs including but not limited to:
- TB Testing/Clearance (every six months / twice a year) Measles, Mumps and Rubella (proof of immunization and/or vaccination)
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will constantly be balancing, hearing, keying, seeing, sitting, talking, walking, analyzing, calculating, communicating, reasoning and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com