Please note: All postings close at 12 A.M. CST on the closing date. A-State participates in E-Verify.
The College of Engineering and Computer Science (CoECS) at Arkansas State University (A-State) invites applications for the position of director of the new program, Data Science & Data Analytics (DSDA). This is a nine-month (with possible summer compensation) appointment beginning in Fall 2021.
The DSDA is a joint program involving six colleges: College of Agriculture, College of Education & Behavioral Science, College of Engineering & Computer Science, College of Liberal Arts & Communication, College of Nursing & Health Professions, and College of Sciences & Mathematics. The DSDA program will include various application domains which are under development and supported by the participating colleges. Domains could be in disciplinary areas or in thematic areas. Domains under development are in the disciplinary areas of computer science, engineering, life science, and social sciences, as well as in thematic areas such as bioinformatics, sustainability and renewable energy, geospatial technologies and health care. An undergraduate certificate in Data Analytics is also part of the program and is open to all majors (except those in DSDA). The new program follows closely on the heels of a new Center for No Boundary Thinking that was established to focus on research in Artificial Intelligence. There is also a very strong effort around the state where academia, government and the private sector are collaborating to address data science and data analytics workforce needs in the state. This new program is a contribution of Arkansas State University to the state-wide effort.
This program will be housed in the College of Engineering and Computer Science. The CoECS offers ABET-accredited undergraduate degrees in the areas of Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Civil Engineering as well as master's degrees in Engineering Management, Engineering, and Computer Science, and undergraduate degrees in Engineering Technology and Computer Science. The university's location in Northeast Arkansas provides opportunities for partnerships with industry in software development, networks/communication, manufacturing, agriculture/food production, and steel.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The ideal candidate will have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
* Recruiting and retention of diverse students, faculty, and staff across a range of academic backgrounds
* Fundraising and securing external research grants
* Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining partnerships with industry and other stakeholders
* Evidence of fostering excellence in the quality of teaching, faculty research, and service
* Evidence of productive research agenda in data science, advanced data analysis, computer science, or other related field
* Evidence of commitment to the development and support of interdisciplinary and international activities and programs
* Demonstrated strong communication and team-building skills
* Evidence of commitment to the value of diversity of students, faculty, and staff
* Demonstrated commitment to professional development of faculty and staff
* Demonstrate a commitment to develop strategic partnerships within the university and with external stakeholders
* Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to work effectively with faculty and staff
* Industry, private sector, and/or other related data science experience is not required, but will be considered (if applicable) when evaluating candidates
* The candidate should be tenurable at the Associate Professor level
* Experience in a Data Science and/or Data Analytics program is desirable
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Additional hours as requested and/or needed
Regular and reliable attendance
Please note: all position postings close at 12:00 A.M. CST on the position closing date
Arkansas State University participates in E-Verify
Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae and cover letter describing their qualifications and a statement describing their vision for the program as it relates to the role and responsibilities of a director at a public research university. In addition, applicants are suggested to submit statements describing teaching and research interests
A-State does not discriminate on the basis of color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, age, national origin, religion, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or disability in any of its practices, policies or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, employment, admissions, educational services, programs or activities which it operates or financial aid
A-State has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty, staff, and students. A-State is also committed to creating a productive workplace in which both persons and property are secure. To achieve that goal, background investigations are conducted on all final applicants recommended for employment
Minimum Qualifications:* An earned Doctorate in Data Science, Computer Science, Computational Statistics, Advanced Data Analysis, or related field from an accredited institution
E-Verify Participation Notice:
E-Verify Right to Work:
To Apply: Please use the "Apply" Button Below or see the Job Description Above
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com.
Be first to receive notifications of new jobs in your specific area by signing up for Job Alerts Here.