Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the
Instructor, Computer Information Systems. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and
surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The
University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of
fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science &
The Instructor, Computer Information Systems Provide the expertise and knowledge
that support the college curriculum and programs. The role of the Instructional Faculty encompasses teaching and learning, advising,
professional development and institutional and community service.
The incumbent will teach a maximum load each
semester with demonstrated expertise and experience in classroom teaching. Must also participate as a full-time instructor in the
activities of the department, division and college. Faculty may be required to teach at various locations at SUSLA including the Metro
Campus, Aerospace or Main Campus.
- Demonstrate skill and/or knowledge in teaching discipline.
- Make continuous efforts to improve the quality of instruction by
reviewing and utilizing innovative methodologies, techniques, and delivery methods.
- Develop and use a syllabus for each course or
laboratory within college, discipline, and departmental guidelines and submit one copy to the department chair.
- Plan, develop, and
use a variety of teaching methods and materials that assist students in meeting course objectives and which are appropriate for students
with differing educational and experiential backgrounds and learning styles.
- Evaluate students to measure their progress toward
achievement of stated course objectives and inform them of their progress in the course in a timely manner.
- Keep accurate student
records and submit related reports and forms within requested timelines.
- Review, evaluate, and recommend student textbooks and
- Teach courses at a variety of times and locations in response to institutional needs.
- Use equipment
and facilities responsibly and courteously. Where appropriate, assist the chair with the routine maintenance of instructional
- Demonstrate competence and interest in the use of technology in the classroom and willingness to explore new
- Maintain professional relationships with students,
colleagues, and the community.
- Provide access to students through conferencing, electronic communication, and other appropriate
methods. Provide advice and assistance to students regarding instructional or program-specific issues.
- Make presentations on a
particular academic field or program - its subject matter, objectives, opportunities for further study (transfer opportunities), and
opportunities for work (co-ops, part-time, work-study) and careers, special clubs and activities available, support services, scholarships,
- Work with Chair to take on appropriate advising activities as needed by the College and Department. (For examples, please
refer to the HCC Faculty Workload Guidelines).
Institutional and Community Service:
- Establish annual
objectives for professional growth in consultation with the department chair.
- Keep pace with developments in the discipline.
- Learn and apply technologies that support student learning. Participate in the evaluation process for self, department, and
- Maintain communication with Chair and Dean as appropriate.
Support adjunct faculty. Demonstrate teamwork within an interdisciplinary college division.
- Promote programming within the
department, across the college and in the larger community.
- Participate in scheduled institutional service activities including
opening week events, conference days, and commencement exercises.
- Participate in discipline committee or program meetings and
- Actively participate in department, college or system meetings and/ or committees.
- Be familiar with and adhere
to all policies and procedures of Southern University-Shreveport and the system.
- Participate in college-related activities such as
student activities, selection of faculty, community education, recruitment of students, and/or special programs.
- Participate in
business and/or student activities and/or community activities that foster goodwill and promote the mission of SUSLA.
in activities required to maintain program and college accreditation standards.
- Participate in the SUSLA planning process by assisting in the formulation of
departmental objectives and goals and in establishing budget priorities.
- Review, evaluate, and revise program curricula and
practices to assure compliance with professional standards, state-mandated guidelines and requirements of business/ industry, and higher
- Assist in the articulation of courses and programs with secondary and post-secondary institutions.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience,
knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Master's degree (or higher) in subject area or related field with a minimum of
eighteen (18) graduate hours completed (official transcript(s) conferring degree must accompany the application). A Doctorate is preferred.
(Photocopy of college transcript showing highest degree conferred must accompany the application form.) Official transcript is required at
time of employment.
- For Career and Technical Workforce Area a Bachelor's degree in the subject area, or related field with
outstanding related industry experience with industry vendor certifications may be used in lieu of a master's degree requirement.
- Minimum of three (3) years industry experience required.
- Experience with
technology used in Distance Education is a plus.
- Doctoral Degree is
required for rank of Assistant Professor
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an
institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed
to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas
and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in
instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing
education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s),
and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
Professor Computer Information Systems
Southern University at Shreveport 3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type
"Instructor/Assistant Professor Computer Information Systems" in the Subject line)
To Apply: Please use the "Apply" Button Below or see the Job Description Above
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com.
Be first to receive notifications of new jobs in your specific area by signing up for Job Alerts Here.