Prairie View A&M University
Director of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships
Director of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships
Prairie View A&M University
Proposed Minimum Salary
Prairie View, Texas
The Director of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships oversees the administration and operation of federal, state and institutional financial assistance programs. The Director provides participatory leadership for the general administration of the office to include strategic planning, budgeting, reporting and personnel management; and ensuring that financial assistance programs and services are available to serve a diverse student population and are operating effectively and efficiently.
- Oversees all facets of the daily operations of the University's Financial Aid and Scholarship Office and ensures compliance with university, state and federal laws, policies and regulations and funding entity requirements. Responsible for the development, interpretation, communication and implementation of policies and procedures and oversight of financial accountability for all funds authorized for disbursement. Establishes and implements departmental goals and objectives and success in administering the university's financial assistance programs. Manages internal procedures and controls of financial aid operations and awards to ensure the equitable determination of need and distribution of resources, timely delivery of services, and adherence to state and federal retention of records policies.
- Responsible for the development of financial assistance programs and services to support the university strategic recruitment and retention plan. Leads the departmental collaborative efforts with other university departments and external entities for these initiatives. Provides leadership for and monitors the coordination with university departments, federal and state agencies, and professional organizations regarding all aspects of the financial aid delivery system. Maintains expert knowledge of current trends and activity in financial aid legislation and federal and state programs.
- Develops, justifies and manages the department budget and other financial aid budgets.
- Provides leadership and supervision of departmental staff. Encourages excellence and adherence to ethical standards. Implements standards of customer service and responsiveness, and communicates goals and objectives to staff. Provides leadership for effective department team building and vision and reviews, directs and encourages high-quality work performance for all levels of staffing. Directs staff in carrying out special projects and committee support functions.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of information systems and procedures to ensure accurate data and efficient and timely access to information. Ensures data integrity. Assesses the adequacy of systems and directs changes as needed.
- Coordinates the authorization of financial aid disbursements and communications with appropriate offices. Serves as a key subject matter expert on financial aid matters and works in a mutually cooperative way with other offices and departments. Represents the Office in relevant campus committees and meetings.
- Oversees activities related to student financial aid internal and external audits and ensures adequate documentation to meet compliance requirements and audit standards. Assists in the coordination of the university's response to any internal/external audits related to student financial aid. Reviews the results of all types of reviews and take appropriate corrective action when applicable.
- Evaluates current policies and procedures and provides recommendations on ways to improve operations and maximize resources.
- Oversees the preparation and submission of required reports for federal, state, institutional and other regulatory/governing bodies.
- Works with appropriate federal and state agencies and donors to ensure maximum use of financial aid funding sources and ensure compliance with all relevant federal, state, donor and university policies.
- Estimates long-range needs for financial aid funds and submits applications to federal, state and other granting agencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Ten years of related experience in progressive financial aid administrative experience to include a minimum of three years at the assistant director or higher level at a post-secondary institution.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Skills to analyze and interpret financial information and to develop and prepare financial statements and ad hoc reports and analyses. Knowledge and experience with automated systems and data processing.
- Proven ability to plan, develop, coordinate, and direct student financial assistance programs and initiatives. Knowledge of principles, practices, methodology, and procedures for the provision of student financial aid. Ability to develop, plan and implement short- and long-range goals and strategic planning.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws, regulations, and policies pertaining to the provision of student financial aid. .Ability to engage in multi-tasking and dealing with complex situations.
- Ability to demonstrate tact and diplomacy and maintain a high level of confidentiality and strict adherence to FERPA.
- Knowledge of current and developing financial aid information services capacity requirements to support operational needs and directions.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures using best practices in enrollment and examining trends as they relate to student financial aid.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication skills and a commitment to fostering collaboration across the campus community. Along with the ability to make presentations in large or small groups. Utilizing excellent listening and problem-solving skills when working with diverse audiences.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Knowledge of current versions of Microsoft products including Windows and Office, Banner financial aid software, BDM, FAMIS/Canopy and federal and state software and systems.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master's degree.
- Ten or more years of progressive financial aid administrative experience to include five years of service at the assistant or higher level at a post-secondary educational institution.
Job Posting Close Date:
Please attach all required documents listed below in the attachment box labeled as either “Resume/CV or Resume/Cover Letter” on the application. Multiple attachments may be included in the “Resume/CV” or Resume/Cover Letter” attachment box. Any additional attachments provided outside of the required documents listed below are considered optional.
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Application Submission Guidelines:
All applicants are required to apply via our Career Site on or before the closing date indicated on the job posting. Applicant inquiries received via email and websites such as Indeed, HigherEdJobs, etc. will not be considered unless the individual has applied to the available position via the PVAMU Career site.
The required documents listed in the above Required Attachments section must be attached to the application prior to the job closing date indicated to ensure full consideration for the application submitted. Please contact the Office of Human Resource on or before the closing date indicated above at 936-261-1730 or firstname.lastname@example.org should you need assistance with the online application process.
Background Check Requirements:
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
To apply, visit https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/PVAMU_External/job/Prairie-View-PVAMU/Director-of-Student-Financial-Aid---Scholarships_R-036289
For more than 140 years, Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) has been igniting passion in its students. With an established reputation for producing engineers, nurses and educators, PVAMU offers baccalaureate degrees, master’s degrees and doctoral degree programs through nine colleges and schools. The University has an enrollment of more than 8,500 students. Designated an institution of “the first class” in the Texas Constitution, PVAMU is the second-oldest public institution of higher education in the state and a member of The Texas A&M University System. The University is dedicated to fulfilling its land-grant mission of achieving excellence in teaching, research and service.
PVAMU is conveniently located near the rapidly growing residential and commercial area known as the Northwest Houston Corridor. The developing Northwest Houston Corridor offers newly developed suburban communities, a variety of shopping and dining near the Houston Premium Outlets and is a short, 35-minute commute into downtown Houston. For more information, visit www.pvamu.edu. Your career opportunities with a “University of the first class” begins here!
Prairie View A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
If you need assistance in applying for this job, please contact (936) 261-1730.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
When inquiring or applying for positions at Prairie View A&M University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Prairie View A&M University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com