This position provides veterinary care in accordance with regulatory and accreditation requirements and available professional standards to oversee and implement the University of Illinois at Chicago Animal Care Program. Responsible for staff training, regulatory compliance, veterinary care, animal welfare and research support.
- Ensure adequate veterinary care by developing and supervising programs in preventative, diagnostic and therapeutic medicine; includes examining animals, diagnosing and prescribing appropriate therapy, medical treatments or special conditioning requirements, and assessing colony health status.
- Review and update established policies and procedures; develop and evaluate new policies and procedures to improve operational standards and efficiency.
- Develop and monitor programs for the appropriate pre and postoperative care, appropriate use of anesthetics and tranquilizers, and consulting with investigative staff and supervising staff usage.
- Perform post approval monitoring of surgery areas outside the core animal facilities.
- Develop and monitor programs to ensure use of appropriate euthanasia techniques including review of techniques in use, advising investigators on appropriate and/or alternative techniques and inspecting laboratories to ensure compliance with Animal Care Committee Policies and Guidelines.
- Perform regular inspections of service areas in conjunction with the supervisory staff to ensure compliance with BRL husbandry standards, the Guide and the Animal Welfare Act.
- Support administrative functions of the Animal Care Committee by reviewing assigned protocols for animal use; providing expert advice to subcommittees, and evaluating policies, guidelines and programs.
- Provide veterinary and administrative support for projects involving chemical, radiologic and biologic hazards, including BSL 2 and 3 agents.
- Collaborate with the supervisory staff to review performance of animal care staff assigned to various facility areas.
- Perform academic duties and functions in support of the educational function of BRL, the UIC Animal Care Program, the UIC Graduate School and the advancement of knowledge in laboratory animal medical and science.
- Participate in the postdoctoral training program in Laboratory Animal Medicine by serving as a veterinary mentor, presenting lectures, seminars and ground rounds, supervising the clinical rotational assignments of trainees and serving on research advisory committee as appropriate.
- Participate in technician training and continuing education programs by developing, reviewing updating and presenting materials in the training program. Collaborate to update and present in-service training and reinforce policies and procedures of animal husbandry program.
- Evaluate environmental controls, husbandry practices, and enrichment of animals in respective service areas.
- Develop, review, update and present teaching materials for graduate courses offered by the BRL.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
Submit a cover letter, current resume and three references with your online application at:
Closing Date: April 15, 2021.
Compensation commensurate with qualifications and experience.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the University of Illinois at Chicago and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com