General Statement of Duties
The Instructional Technologist reports to the Dean Online Learning and supports the University’s strategic online program growth. In particular, the Instructional Technologist provides services to students, faculty, and staff in the use of all types of instructional technology that relate to the academic mission of the college. The department’s mission is to develop and maintain Online Learning services and support the integration of technology into instruction at the college.
Distinguishing Features of the Position
- Serve as the primary Canvas Administrator for support and questions
- Help staff identify and implement technology tools and technology trends needed for use in online course instruction
- Ability to plan, develop, and evaluate engaging multimedia learning/training tools
- Maintains awareness of best practices, emerging technologies, and new opportunities in educational technology that may be adopted as new and emerging instructional media, technologies, pedagogies, and practices.
- Oversees learning content management, distribution, and reporting in the system, including creating testing and training materials for new/updated system releases and facilitating training
- Ensure adequate technology infrastructure to meet goals of technology-enhanced curricula.
- Administers specialized software packages as may be required by faculty and overall instructional initiatives.
- Coordinate and assist internal technology teams when implementing and updating integrations
- Maintains awareness of system issues, enhancements, best practices and general development with the system, including support of periodic updates and system/process enhancements
- Participate in special projects and perform other duties, as assigned
Examples of Inclusive Duties (illustrative only)
- Provide support to online learning students (help desk) - orientation, troubleshooting, and install support.
- Set up student and faculty accounts on the Learning Management servers and maintain these account records in a database.
- Assist the Dean of Online Learning in planning Instructional Media and Online Learning services.
- Design and set up course sites on the Learning Management System.
- Provide training and support to faculty who use Online Learning technologies.
- Assist students, faculty, and staff in designing and uploading Online Learning sites and other multimedia files.
- Provide technical support to multi-media users on post production of digital video.
- Assist the Dean of Online Learning with provision and evaluation of department services
- Carry out any other assignments given by the Dean of Online Learning
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Minimum of a BA/BS in information technology, instructional design or related field. Three years of service-related experience in a college setting, knowledge of administration of course management software such as Canvas or Blackboard, and ability to demonstrate self-direction and motivation.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com