Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement - Lab Assistants
DSU Diagnostics Testing Laboratory
(3) Positions Available
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
THIS IS A 100% GRANT FUNDED POSITION
General Description of the Position The candidate(s) will report to the General Laboratory Supervisor for the DSU Diagnostic Laboratory and is responsible for daily laboratory housekeeping, performing laboratory testing protocols, and providing support for ongoing laboratory projects.
The following are the functions essential to performing this job:
- The candidate is responsible for lab housekeeping, materials development experimentation, operating lab equipment, recording and analyzing data, and supporting ongoing product projects within the laboratory. In addition, the candidate must be able to lift 50lbs with two hands, and other duties as directed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual in this job must possess these skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation using some other combination of skills and abilities:
- Follow the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results
- Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens
- Adhere to the laboratory’s quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed
- Follow the laboratory’s established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance
- Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problems or immediately notify the general supervisor, technical supervisor, clinical consultant, or director
- Employees will potentially be handling live COVID-19 samples, so all proper precautions will be taken in alignment with CLIA regulations.
- Education (Any combination of the following is required):
Associate degree (or higher) in lab science or medical lab technology. OR
Education AND training equivalent to an associate degree in lab science or medical lab tech:
- Education - 60 semester hours including either 24 semester hours of medical lab courses or 24 semester hours of science courses (6 hours chem, 6 hours bio, and 12 hours in any combination of chem, bio, and medical lab technology.
- Training - either completion of an approved/accredited clinical lab or medical lab training program, which may be included in the 60 semester hrs. specified above or three months of documented lab training in each specialty in which the individual performs high complexity testing.
The criteria for evaluation in this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
The applicant will be evaluated by their ability to successfully demonstrate their proficiency to complete the tasks listed in the required knowledge, skills, and abilities section of this announcement.
Note: The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties as provided in policy and negotiated agreements.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate because of race, creed, national or ethnic origin, sex, or disability.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Delaware State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com