Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement - Laboratory Technician
Department of Biological Sciences
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
THIS IS A 100% GRANT FUNDED POSITION
General Job Description
The Laboratory Technician has the responsibility to work closely with faculty and staff at the Delaware Center for Neuroscience Research, the Electrophysiology Core, and the Department of Biological Sciences to plan, develop and carry out a research program in the molecular basis of neurodegenerative disorders using invertebrate and cell culture models. This individual will also be responsible for conducting; maintaining the laboratory; and helping to supervise undergraduate students.
The following are the functions essential to performing this job.
1. Plan and carry out behavioral and electrophysiological studies in Drosophila neurobiology and neurodegenerative disease models and in fly and mammalian cell culture model systems
2. Maintaining laboratory stocks, supplies and equipment used for conducting experiments.
3. Providing technical guidance to undergraduate students in the laboratory.
4. Assisting with ordering supplies and maintaining records related to laboratory operations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The preferred applicant must possess expertise with principles and techniques of patch clamp electrophysiology as well as a strong molecular background, including biochemistry and protein analysis. Applicants with expertise in neurodegenerative diseases and molecular basis of behavior are encouraged to apply. In addition, the individual must demonstrate the ability to work independently, as well as show an ability to train and mentor undergraduate students.
1. Education: BS or MS degree, Biology or Biochemistry preferred
2. Previous experience working in a life science/biomedical laboratory
Note: The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties as provided in policy and negotiated agreements.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity, Title IX Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age or disability.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Delaware State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com