Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement - Research Technician
College of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
THIS IS A 100% GRANT FUNDED POSITION
General Description of the Job
The successful candidate for position will report directly to Dr. Venu Kalavacharla in the College of Agriculture, Science, and Technology at Delaware State University. Applicants must possess the ability and interest in maintaining laboratory equipment, assist in conducting greenhouse, growth room and laboratory experiments and assist in biological research in the field as needed. Also, this position is required to mentor graduate and undergraduate students, interact with faculty, staff and students at DSU and collaborating institutions and participate in outreach activities to local K-12 institutions
and the community.
The following are the functions essential to performing this job.
1. Conduct biological research in the area of plant genomics and transcriptomics.
2. Manage laboratory, greenhouse, growth room, and field activities.
3. Communicate effectively with faculty, students, DSU Administrators and professional groups.
4. Assist in recruiting and motivating outstanding students and staff, and promote professional development.
5. Provide leadership by encouraging excellence in research, education and outreach activities.
6. Assist undergraduate and graduate students, and other laboratory staff with research programs.
7. Manage laboratory responsibilities, purchasing, research as needed
Individuals in this job may be assigned one or more of the following tasks on a rotating or as-needed basis.
1. Coordinate undergraduate student research in the laboratory.
2. High school and Community outreach.
3. Research in area(s) of expertise and assist with grants as needed
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual in this job must possess these skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1. Research experience in biology and biotechnology in a college, university, government or industry.
2. Ability to work successfully with diverse students and faculty.
3. Effective written and verbal communication skills.
1. Earned Master's level degree or equivalent work experience (in addition to a Bachelor's degree in Biology or Biotechnology or related fields).
2. Experience in basic biotechnological techniques and working with biological systems.
3. Interest in environment related applications of plant biology, plant molecular biology/genomics, as well as addressing plant stress.
Preferred Qualifications: Prior experience in plant biology, host-pathogen interactions or working with model or non-model plant species, management of laboratory, greenhouse, and growth room experiments and mentoring students, plant biotechnology.
The criteria for evaluation in this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Successful completion of the tasks listed as essential functions.
2. Publication and professional presentations.
3. Lab management and mentoring abilities.
Note: The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties as provided in policy and negotiated agreements.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity, Title IX Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age or disability.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Delaware State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com