Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement - Programmer/Data Analyst
Institutional Research, Planning and Analytics (IRPA)
Office of Institutional Effectiveness
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
THIS IS A 100% GRANT FUNDED POSITION
General Description of the Position
The primary purpose of this position is to provide data to support decision-making, policy review and assessment of institutional performance in support of the University’s strategic goals. The Programmer/Data Analyst serves as a report developer for institutional reporting using cutting edge business intelligence tools (data cubes and dashboards) to accomplish seamless retrieval, visualization and presentation of data related to assessment, and students’ success. The Programmer/Data Analyst will report to the Executive Director of Institutional Research, Planning and Analytics.
1. Develop and execute plan for implementation of dashboards summarizing key institutional data for various campus constituents.
2. Manages datasets and repositories used in reporting and analysis.
3. Monitor and improve performance of internal reporting systems (e.g., Portal). Maintain and organize current reports and develop new reports as needed.
4. Coordinates data collection including extraction, compilation, and data integrity
5. Collaborate with end users to evaluate existing systems, consider feasibility, assist in the designing, testing and rollout/trainings of improved systems/methods.
6. Utilize software programming skills to develop custom dashboards that can integrate with existing university information systems.
7. Create and maintain document specifications on new and existing data reporting projects. Ensure that coded instructions can be easily followed by others.
8. Performs administrative support functions to support the day to day operations of the department to maintain maximum efficiency.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Proficiency in using Microsoft Office
2. Knowledge of Ellucian Banner and higher education issues and concepts.
3. Knowledge of enterprise relational information systems and database structures, Structured Query Language ( SQL) or equivalent programming language.
4. Knowledge of data analysis techniques in analyzing large amounts of data and making key observations.
5. Ability to learn new concepts, multi task and make decisions under pressure.
6. Effectively communicates through written, oral and/or multimedia forums.
7. Proficiency in usage of reporting tools (e.g. ARGOS, MS Report Builder, etc.)
8. Ability to be both an effective project leader and contributing team member.
1. Education: BS degree in Computer and Information Technology, MIS or related field
2. At least three years of successful related work experience
3. Demonstrates proficiency in Excel
4. Demonstrates proficiency in SQL (preferably Oracle environment) and experience with interfacing relational databases
5. Experience with development and maintenance of reporting/dashboarding tools (e.g., Microsoft Business Intelligence, Tableau, etc.)
The criteria for evaluation in this position include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Ability to produce work of high quality while managing multiple priorities
2. Demonstrate excellent organizational skills
3. Demonstrate practices to protect confidentiality of the university data
4. Ability to work independently, accurately and efficiently
5. Ability to effectively utilize technology to streamline and automatize activities
6. Ability to provide excellent customer service
7. Ability to work collegially with administrators, faculty and staff in a diverse environment
8. Ability to clearly and concisely communicate verbally and in written manner
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity, Title IX Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age or disability.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Delaware State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com