Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement - Assistant Controller
Division of Finance
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
General Description of the Position
The Assistant Controller position safeguards the integrity of the University’s accounting information by recording, reporting, and reconciling transitions in conformity with the generally accepted accounting principles, standards, and practices for higher education. This position supports the University’s Controller in ensuring the integrity of the University’s financial information for the purposes of accurate and timely reporting, decision-making, and strategic planning and maintains secondary the operations of General Accounting, Fixed Assets, Payroll, and Accounts Payable units. The incumbent works closely with other Finance departments, under the direction of the Controller, to promote accounting integrity and effective internal controls. The Assistant Controller will assist in the preparation of year-end financials, working with external auditors for the University’s annual audits, the monthly closing process, and the maintenance of ledger accounts and internal accounting processes to ensure that practices align with the overall goals of the University. The incumbent has direct supervision over the General Accounting, Fixed Assets and Foundation Accounting.
The following are the functions essential to performing this job:
1. Supervises the General Accounting staff and assists them with sensitive problems, technical issues, and conflict resolution; Assigns and monitors work and evaluates performance.
2. Prepares required financial statements and reviews other component unit financial reports.
3. Reviews and approves Department journal entries for accuracy.
4. Oversees the General Accounting, Accounts Payable, Payroll and Fixed Assets Accounting functions to ensure that effective and efficient service is provided within appropriate State and federal procedures and regulations.
5. Implements and maintains internal audit programs, including petty cash accounts and University ticket operations; Identifies and implements corrective systems, if needed.
6. Analyzes the work processes of each business operation and/or department, and investigates possible improvements to the quality and/or efficiency of the work through such methods as increased automation, reorganization of the work, elimination of redundancies, etc.
7. Assists with the fiscal year-end audits.
8. Monitors developments in national higher education business processes for items that may benefit Delaware State University staff and senior management on communication and implementation of such changes.
9. Communicates policy/procedure issues with University departments; Works with General Accounting staff to ensure strong customer service to internal and external customers.
10. Performs other duties and responsibilities related to those enumerated above which do not alter the basic level of responsibility of the position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual in this job must possess these skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation using some other combination of skills and abilities:
1. Excellent technical accounting skills and knowledge (including GASB, FASB, IRS regulations, etc.)
2. Superior computer and software skills, particularly Access database software; excellent Excel and MS Word skills required; knowledge of SunGard Banner System for higher education a plus.
3. Must demonstrate excellent organizational, communication, analytical and operational management skills.
4. Must be able to independently set priorities to meet the needs of the organization and achieve the needed results;
5. Must have the ability to interact well with diverse community of students, parents, faculty and staff.
6. Must have a passionate commitment to the culture and mission of Delaware State University
1. Education: Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field
2. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license preferred
3. Successful experience: At least three (3) years experience in governmental or higher education accounting with emphasis on governmental accounting standards.
The criteria for evaluation in this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the DSU Fundamentals
2. Professional/job related goals, accomplishments are consistently met
3. Planning/organizational skills reflect appropriate stakeholder input and accountability
4. Reporting compliance is consistent and accurate
5. Attitude and interpersonal relationships reflect a spirit of cooperation
Note: The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties as provided in policy and negotiated agreements.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate because of race, creed, national or ethnic origin, sex, or disability.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Delaware State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com