Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement - Assistant Professor/Assistant Director, Aviation
College of Business
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
The Aviation Program within the College of Business at Delaware State University (DSU), has established an Assistant Director of Aviation Program’s position. The Assistant Director of Aviation Programs is a dynamic, well-experienced aviation professional with an extensive background in flight training and academic instruction at the university level. The Assistant Director’s duties will be assigned by the Director of the Aviation Program. The Assistant Director will assist the Director in the supervision and advising of students completing the aviation program degree curriculum receiving the Bachelor of Science degree in Aviation Management or Professional Pilot. In addition to assisting the Director of Aviation in all activities, initiatives, vision for the program and objectives, the Assistant Director will represent the Director of Aviation and the program to the University Administration, and outside entities.
The Assistant Director’s responsibilities are on a 12-month basis, and include:
1. Reports directly to the Director of Aviation Programs.
2. Completes all tasks and assignments assigned by the Director.
3. Provide oversight of a meaningful aviation safety program.
4. Assisting the Director of Aviation Programs with managerial oversight for all aviation programs, staffing, flight and academic training, student activities such as recruiting and academic advising, course scheduling, and budget management.
5. Lead academic course instructor teaching a full load of courses, provides managerial oversight of all Adjunct Instructors.
6. Actively flight instructing as a Check Airman.
7. Fostering relationships with the FAA, industry partners and community organizations, etc.
8. Promoting, marketing and fund raising for the Aviation Program.
9. Recruiting and advising students at the direction of the Director.
10. Working to ensure compliance and enhance the level of the Aviation Program’s accreditation.
11. As required, reporting to and attend meetings with the Dean of the College of Business and Department of Business Administration Chairperson in the absence of the Director.
1. Master’s degree in an appropriate field.
2. Effective flight instruction and academic teaching experience.
3. Effective verbal and written communication skills.
4. Administrative and budget management experience.
5. Current Certified Flight Instructor - Airplane (CFI-A) pilot certificate.
6. Current Instrument Instructor (CFI-I) and Multiengine Instructor (MEI) pilot certificates.
7. Meets the Check Airman/Instructor qualifications IAW FAR 141.37.
1. Current Certified Flight Instructor – Helicopter (CFI-H)
2. Ph.D. from an accredited university or institution.
3. Part 121 or military flight safety program experience.
4. University flight program teaching or administrative experience.
5. Possesses an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Rating.
Salary is competitive. Applications will be accepted and reviewed immediately until position is filled. Interested candidates must apply online for full consideration. Please include a letter of application addressing the above qualifications, vita, transcripts, copy of pilot certification and names/contact information for three references. For additional information, please contact Col. Michael Hales, Director, Aviation Program
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity, Title IX Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age or disability.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Delaware State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com