Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement - PostDoctoral Researcher in Genomics and Bioinformatics
Department of Human Ecology
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
THIS IS A 100% GRANT FUNDED POSITION
We are recruiting a motivated and ambitious candidate (Researcher or Post-doc in Bioinformatics) who want to build a scientific career in bioinformatics and molecular biological research with applications in Food and Agricultural Sciences and Biology. Candidate should have a strong background in computer science, bioinformatics, molecular biology, statistics, and strong quantitative skills (including programming) and will be strongly interested in pursuing computational projects, as well as a combination with wet-lab research.
• Master or Doctoral degree in computational biology, bioinformatics, molecular biology, (bio)statistics, computer science, food/agriculture or a similar field. Strong programming (Python, R, Perl, C++, etc.), NGS (Next-Generation Sequencing) background, and statistical programming software (SAS, MATLAB, etc.) are required.
• Previous experiences in computational genomics (whole genome sequencing, metagenomics, epigenomics, transcriptomics, etc.) and operating NGS system is desirable.
• Must possess strong motivation, critical thinking ability and strong written and communication skills.
• Must exhibit strong work ethic, initiative, management skill, and strong self-motivation and responsibility, with the ability to work independently and in collaboration with others.
• Experience of strong wet-lab research (molecular biology, microbiology, bacteriophage and/or virus research, etc.).
• Candidate must be independently willing to perform research projects and collaborations with diversity in DSU.
Responsibilities includes, but are not limited to:
• To lead bioinformatics projects, develop bioinformatics pipelines for whole genome sequencing, metagenomics, epigenomics, and transcriptomics (genome sequencing, genome assembly, syntenic alignments, gene annotation, and comparative genomic analyses).
• To develop training and service programs for the DNA sequencing core.
• To conduct wet lab experiments with technologies commonly used in molecular labs (ex. PCR, gel electrophoresis, DNA/RNA prep, cultivation, etc.), sequencing library preps, etc.
• To prepare project proposals and manuscripts.
• Training/supervising students and project participants.
• Operating and managing NGS system and core equipment
• To assist the PI in developing a DNA core.
Appointment: 12 months (Negotiable)
Interested applicants must complete an online application for full consideration. Send a cover letter, CV (including statements of bioinformatics and wet-lab research experiences) and three references’ contact addresses by e-mail to:
Ms. Karen McKoy Holland
College of Agriculture Science and Technology
Delaware State University.
1200 North DuPont Highway
Dover, DE 19901
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity, Title IX Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age or disability.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Delaware State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com