Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement - Financial Aid Counselor
Office of Financial Aid
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
General Description of the Job
This position is directly responsible for administering and awarding financial aid to students and advises students and parents regarding financial aid matters. Responsible for counseling students and parents/guardians on all aspects of the financial aid process and preparing financial aid packages for undergraduate and graduate students in accordance with federal, state and institutional guidelines. The Financial Aid Counselor administers assigned federal, institutional, private and/or state financial aid program or programs and will utilize databases to extract and provide a variety of reports and information. Collects and analyzes data as appropriate to determine eligibility within guidelines of federal, state, and institutional programs. Assists with the collection and arrangement of data and request for additional documentation from students and parent(s) as well as disseminates confidential records on all information collected. Conducts campus and community workshops and/or presentations for students and the University community.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual in this job must possess these skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1. Knowledge of all regulations, policies and procedures governing financial aid programs ensuring institutional compliance at all times.
2. Knowledge of departmental policies and procedures.
3. Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
4. Knowledge of external funding criteria for each scholarship.
1. Education: Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Public Administration or a related field from an accredited college/university, three (3) or more years of experience may substitute degree requirements. Master’s Degree M.A. M.Sc. or MBA desirable but not required
2. Successful experience: Application of Title IV funding; application of financial aid packaging; proven success in customer service and higher education; excellent written and oral communications; computer proficiency; organizational skills; experience working with a student/business information system and database.
3. Other: Professional demeanor and ability to work effectively with various constituencies including potential/incoming students and their families, current students and their families, faculty, administrators, and the public.
Note: The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties as provided in policy and negotiated agreements.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate because of race, creed, national or ethnic origin, sex, or disability.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Delaware State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com