Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement - Admissions Counselor
Office of Admissions
Three (3) Positions Available
Division of Enrollment Management
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
General Description of the Position
The admissions counselor, under the direction of executive director of admissions, is responsible for aiding in the planning and initiation of student recruitment, expanding market research, and representing Delaware State University to prospective students and the general public with the highest degree of professionalism.
The following are the functions essential to performing this job:
1. Assist in the direction, coordination and implementation of the Recruitment Program
2. Manage assigned territory as follows: Conduct student interviews on and off campus, correspond with prospective students, parents, high school and college counselors, alumni and etc., have timely follow-through on communication by initiating and answering phone calls, correspondence and inquiries from prospective students and their families, and other constituents. Also, review student applications and make admission decisions; maintain accurate and complete student records as required by college policies, and administrative agencies regulations, function successfully in a multicultural environment, establish, maintain, and cultivate relationships with representatives of various organizations that my result in the recruitment of potential students (i.e., school counselors, program coordinators, parents, etc. and participate in territory events to develop contacts and maintain knowledge of your territory to meet territory goals, including extensive travel to assigned territory
3. Participate in the direction, coordination and implementation of the following recruitment activities: DSU Homecoming, Fall/Spring Open, House, Campus Tours, special high school and community activities (i.e., college and career fairs, Hornet Days, state fairs, community events), New Student Orientation
4. Counsel prospective students and family members about admission criteria and other critical factors in the educational decision process
5. Counsel students regarding course selection, class scheduling and registration, transfer credits, and career planning
6. Professional Development Workshops/Seminars
7. Maintain a record/log of visitations, contacts, and students enrolled
8. Assist the University in its efforts to meet enrollment objectives by setting personal recruiting goals and aggressively pursuing them.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual in this job must possess these skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation using some other combination of skills and abilities:
1. Demonstrate ability to be creative and innovative when implementing sales and marketing strategy
2. Demonstrate ability to communicate (written and orally) articulately and effectively
3. Possess proficient presentation skills
4. Possess strong written and oral communication, and interpersonal skills.
5. Proven ability to set work priorities, manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment while meeting territory goals and deadlines
6. Experience on using computers and computer systems
7. Demonstrate ability to work with others in a collaborative team effort and to interact positively with the public
8. Proficiency in analytical skills and accuracy in all phases of work
9. Demonstrate effective speaking
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree
2. Successful experience: Two or more years of successful work experience in college admissions, secondary school guidance, teaching or advising in a college/university setting
3. Must have enthusiasm for working with college students and representing Delaware State University.
4. Possess the ability to handle individual projects, as well as, work well as part of a team
5. Must possess valid U.S. driving license
6. Other preferences: Possess effective speaking and presentation skills, sound judgment and a tolerance for working long hours.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity, Title IX Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age or disability.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Delaware State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com