Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement -- Controller
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
General Description of the Job
Serve as primary financial resource/contact with University managers, administrators, and external agencies for planning, developing, coordination, and integrating financial reporting and internal controls functions . This position reports to the Associate Vice President of Finance.
The following are the functions essential to performing this job
- Responsible for the preparation of the University’s periodic financial reports as well as Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
- Provide guidance at the University level in the interpretation and implementation of accounting and financial reporting.
- Prepares university wide implementation plans for GASB pronouncements, state and federal legislation impacting financial reporting and/ or internal controls
- Management of financial operations/accounting, reporting, and systems
- Develop and coordinate plans, goals, policies and procedures relative to all financial directives of the University
- Responsible for University cash management, investing, and banking relations
- Coordinate all financial audit activity and serve as principal liaison with auditors
- Recruit, select, orient, train, supervise and evaluate employees of the department
- Coordinate grant classifications/billing/tracking, reporting and all other related functions
- Serve as primary functional expert in Banner’s modules related to other functions
Individuals in this job may be assigned one or more of the following tasks on a rotating or as-needed basis.
- Prepare financial estimates/projections.
- Issue monthly and annual financial statements and status reports to Board, managers and state officials.
- Assist in preparation of University and other DSU entity tax returns.
- Prepare regular and ad hoc financial analyses and reports to support decision-making processes.
- Plan financial system enhancements and upgrades.
- Prepare cash flow estimates/calculations and provide for University cash needs.
- Perform account reconciliations, analyses and adjusting journal entries as needed
- Track/invoice/close capital projects and prepare quarterly cash flow analysis
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual in this job must possess these skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Knowledge of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as they apply to higher education organizations and financial reporting.
- Knowledge of higher education accounting and auditing procedures, laws, rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of higher education accounting, financial management, payroll and budget systems.
- Skill in managing financial reporting and internal control functions at the university level.
- Skill in developing, implementing, and monitoring financial reporting and internal control policies and procedures at the university level.
- Skill in analyzing university, state and federal legislation, policies and procedures concerning accounting, financial reporting, and internal control.
- Skill in the principles of risk management, assessment and statistical sampling techniques as it relates to an internal control and financial reporting framework.
- Skill in preparing financial reports and narrative report writing.
- Skill in conducting in-depth, comprehensive analysis of financial systems to identify accounting control risks and weaknesses, identify variances, trends and discrepancies.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with individuals in the university, state and federal government agencies as well as various internal and external auditors.
- Proficient in non-profit tax accounting/preparation (to include unrelated business income).
- Possession of at least Bachelors degree or higher in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Business Management, or related field.
- Possession of CPA (preferred).
- Experience in higher education accounting which includes analyzing, recording and reporting financial transactions and interpreting Governmental Accounting Standards (GASB) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience in preparing financial statements such as balance sheets, statement of net assets, profit and loss statements, statement of revenues and expenditures and changes in fund balances.
- Experience in financial administration such as comprehensive analysis of programs, budgets, projects, services, alternatives, and costs; financial planning, revenue generation, revenue forecasting, expenditure forecasting, cash flow management and establishing internal control.
- Experience in developing financial policies and procedures.
- Experience in strategic planning which includes planning and mapping a path between the present and future usually for three to five years by determining key objectives, how to accomplish the key objectives, what strategies should be used, what activities would contribute to accomplishing the key objectives and developing performance measures to gauge and report progress or success.
The criteria for evaluation in this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the DSU Fundamentals
- Professional/job related goals, accomplishments are consistently met
- Planning/organizational skills reflect appropriate stakeholder input and accountability
- Reporting compliance is consistent and accurate
- Attitude and interpersonal relationships reflect a spirit of cooperation
Note: The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties as provided in policy and negotiated agreements. Direct deposit of paycheck is a condition of employment.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Delaware State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com