Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement - Assistant Vice President of Human Resources
Office of Human Resources
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
Delaware State University is seeking a creative and energetic experienced professional with in-depth knowledge of all aspects of human resources management
The Assistant Vice President of Human Resources is responsible for providing leadership and day-to-day management of all human resource functions including: employment, benefits, compensation, performance management, organizational design, employee relations, policy development, training and development and regulatory compliance. This position will embrace human inclusivity and ensure compliance through open and ethical practices. The human resources department provides strategic leadership, modeling excellence, honesty, integrity, and teamwork while delivering high quality services in support of the University's mission.
1. Responsible for the overall administration and accountability of Human Resources staff, operations and functions.
2. Prepare and monitor the Office of Human Resources budgets.
3. Oversee development of job descriptions, position classifications, position analysis, and compensation in accordance with FLSA .
4. Serve as a consultant on human resources issues, laws, policy, and personnel matters to leadership and management.
5. Work in partnership with University legal counsel as appropriate, and/or as directed.
6. Develop, review and revise personnel procedures and policies. Provide consistent interpretation/application of HR policies and procedures within the University.
7. Work collaboratively with the Division of Finance, particularly the Payroll office.
8. Working with hiring managers, evaluate recruitment strategies to assure a constant flow of qualified applicants for faculty and staff positions.
9. Oversee implementation and ongoing improvements to the applicant tracking and onboarding systems.
10. Conduct external and internal wage surveys as requested.
11. Advise and facilitate in matters of conflict resolution, corrective discipline, terminations, hiring decisions, workforce reductions, performance evaluations and investigations. Conduct investigations as needed.
12. Work directly with department managers and supervisors to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities as it relates to personnel. Counsel and train employees on resolving employee relations issues, legal proceedings arid hearings,
13. Communicate regularly with the Vice President providing up-to-date information on potential University issues, problems and challenges.
14. Develop and oversee the administration of University operating policies and procedures; maintain up to date operations manual.
15. Oversee collection and reporting of statistical data and reports for annual faculty and staff IPEDS reporting.
16. Selects, supervises, assigns, and evaluates the work of Human Resources.
17. Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal regulations related to employment practices.
18. Provide oversight for University employee functions; in collaboration with the Office University Conferences, Events and Commencement
19. Complete any other assignments as directed by the University.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
1. Graduate degree in Human Resources, or related field preferred.
2. Seven to ten years of human resource leadership and supervisory experience strongly preferred.
3. HR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, or SHRM-CSP desirable.
4. Experience with human resources functional areas (talent management, labor and employee relations, training and development, compensation, benefits, performance management, risk management, compliance) and commitment to best practices.
5. Demonstrated knowledge of federal and state labor laws, rules and regulations related to all human resource areas including DOL, ADA, EEOA, ACA, FMLA, OSHA, FERPA, FLSA, HIPAA.
6. Experience with Banner HRIS proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, database management and record keeping.
7. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain productive, collaborative relationships with a full range of internal and external colleagues and constituencies.
8. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrated experience interacting with all levels of leadership, trustees, faculty, staff, and student workers, both in public presentations and on a personal level in support of supervisors and employees.
9. Ability to perform work independently, make decisions using good judgment, and maintaining confidentiality.
10. Knowledge of human resources trends in higher education.
11. Willingness to work a flexible and extended schedule including weekends and evenings when necessary.
Interested applicants must complete an online application for full consideration. If selected for an interview, you will be asked to provide contact information for three references.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity, Title IX Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age or disability.