Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all position (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Incumbent is primarily responsible for processing laboratory glassware, producing and maintaining fly food inventories, and maintaining sterile tips and tube for laboratories. This includes collecting and transporting glassware from laboratories to the SCRM for processing and then delivering clean glassware back to laboratories. Incumbent is also responsible for processing fly food, tips, and tubes to ensure laboratories have adequate supplies to meet their needs. Processing involves the operation of washers, drying ovens, autoclaves, and a dispensing pump.
(55%) Glassware Preparation
- Retrieves soiled glassware from assigned laboratories and places in collection bins for transport to the SCRM. Securely loads collection bins in the Glassware truck for delivery to the SCRM for processing.
- Sorts and inspects glassware before loading into washers. Pre-rinse glassware if needed. Glassware is sterilized or dried and then processed for final delivery per laboratory requirements.
- Glassware carefully loaded in the collection bins for delivery back to Salk laboratories.
- Documents washer loads for laboratories for recharge purposes.
- Operates Institute’s vehicle for pick-up and delivery of glassware as needed.
(30%) Fly Food Production
- Produces fly food for delivery to laboratories.
- Fly food ingredients are weighed, mixed, autoclaved, dispensed into vials, vials are plugged, and bagged for delivery to laboratories.
- Track laboratory inventories and maintain stocks of fly food.
- Documents the delivery of fly food trays for recharge purposes.
- Maintain tips and tube laboratory inventories. Includes the collection of empty tip and tube containers, reloading containers, sterilizing by autoclave, and delivery back to laboratories.
- Collection and autoclaving liquids upon request from laboratories.
- Stocking supplies and tracking inventories.
- Other duties as assigned.
- No professional experience required
- Experience in the biotech industry.
- Experience using a commercial washer and cleaning equipment.
- High School diploma or equivalent
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to interact and communicate professionally and effectively with a diverse group of people to include faculty, staff, postdocs, students, administration, and the public with tact, discretion and appropriate judgment.
- Must be able to comprehend and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Skill in handling fragile/breakable objects.
- Ability to organize time and work effectively to provide timely service to clients.
- Strong customer service orientation.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must have a valid Class C driver's license, be willing to sign the Institute’s Driver Agreement, and permit the Institute to obtain a copy of individual’s motor vehicle driving record.
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
- Willing to sign a confidentiality agreement
This position requires constant adjusting focus, handling, hearing, reaching, seeing, standing, touching/feeling, and working inside.