The Chief Mission Officer functions as a strategic influence and as a collaborative member of the senior leadership responsible to the President for ensuring the College is functioning in a manner consistent with its mission, heritage and values. This position serves as a trusted advisor to the President and works closely with the Senior Administration to promote the mission and actively engage all members of the D’Youville community in that effort. The Chief Mission Officer heads the Center for Mission Integration and is responsible for the design, development, coordination, implementation and evaluation of activities related to the task of embedding the mission within all facets of the institution.
The position must have an appreciation for and understanding of the tradition of the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart’s history and values and the university’s Catholic Heritage that are embedded within the D’Youville mission, with a particular emphasis upon service, inclusivity and social justice.
D’Youville Mission Statement
D'Youville is an independent institution of higher education that offers baccalaureate and graduate programs to students of all faiths, cultures, and backgrounds.
D’Youville honors its Catholic heritage and the spirit of St. Marguerite d’Youville by providing academic, social, spiritual, and professional development in programs that emphasize leadership and service. D'Youville teaches students to contribute to the world community by leading compassionate, productive, and responsible lives.
Essential Job Responsibilities
• Assists the President in all matters of mission. Accountable for setting direction, identifying priorities, and monitoring performance to support, advance and strengthen the mission within the entire D’Youville community
• Serves as the staff liaison to the Apostolic Mission Committee of the Board of Trustees, identifying, implementing and communicating strategic directions of the college as it relates to the mission
• Oversees the Campus Ministry office, including providing oversight to delivery of campus liturgical events
• Consults with academic departments on venues for Service Learning
• Promotes mission integration and outreach across the campus and focuses on forming relationships with colleagues in all departments to help identify opportunities (direct or indirect) for mission integration and assist with the implementation
• As leader of the Center for Mission Integration, designs, develops and implements (in collaboration with the campus) the working model of the center, including all aspects related to the functioning of the center and the Ethics Institute that is housed within the center.
• Oversees and promotes the International Scholarship Program for Sisters and Priests
• Assists the President with the board of trustee orientation and their understanding of the college mission and its Catholic heritage
• Works closely with the Institutional Advancement Department to determine opportunities and assist in the submission of identified grants and fundraising efforts
• Provides orientation of new faculty, staff and students of D’Youville with regard to the college’s mission and its Catholic heritage
• Serves as a liaison as requested by the President to the various religious communities to strengthen those existing relationships, including The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (formerly at the now-closed Holy Angels Parish), and establish new relationships with other communities (as appropriate)
• Provides leadership and collaborative support with university efforts to promote a diverse, equitable and inclusive community
• Represents D’Youville as requested by the President to external groups, community boards and organizations and internal committees on matters related to the mission of the institution
• Performs other duties specific to the college as requested by the President, appropriate to the position
• Graduate degree in Theology, Education or related area from an accredited college or university; Doctoral degree preferred
Experience (all three preferred but a combination is acceptable for submission)
• Appropriate experience in executive administration or an equivalent combination of training
• Demonstrated experience in supervisory role
• Relevant experience in integrating mission, vision and values preferred
Required Knowledge and Abilities
• Creativity and education skills
• Communication, organization and team building effectiveness
• Ability to effectively work with and engage the entire campus constituency
• Knowledge of current trends in the Catholic Church and social issues of significance
• Understanding of college’s relationship to the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart, the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and the National Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities
• Sensitivity to all persons and the ability to work inclusively with people of faiths and cultures
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com