Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all position (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Under general supervision, provides lab support, tasks and experiments in support of academic research projects. Responsibilities may include: routine molecular biology, biochemical, and cell biology techniques. Maintains and prepares accurate records of all solutions made and testing performed. Performs lab maintenance such as sterilization of materials and preparation of solutions.
(100%) Molecular/Cell Biology Techniques and Lab Support
- Preparation of media and solutions – 50%
- Maintain detailed daily records in well-kept lab notebook – 20%
- Perform routine maintenance and cleaning of core instrumentation -15%
- Maintaining sterile cultures – 10%
- Autoclaving – 2.5%
- Assist with general lab equipment cleaning and maintenance- 2.5%
- Undergraduate coursework in biological sciences or related field
- Undergraduate coursework in biological sciences or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1st or 2nd year college student preferred
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Able to perform routine, repetitive functions.
- Proven organizational and time management skills to successfully set priorities, meet established deadlines and recognize new problems with constantly changing priorities and frequent interruptions.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking and adept at juggling changing priorities.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) needed to interact professionally and effectively in the work environment. Ability to read, comprehend, and discuss research materials. Proven ability to write, edit and proofread research results.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills utilizing sound judgment, tact and a recognition of situations requiring confidentiality.
- Ability to diplomatically and professionally interact with all levels of Institute staff and external contacts.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Successful completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
This position requires constant handling, seeing, sitting, talking, and walking.
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com