Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Dallas College in their search for a Chief Internal Auditor (CIA).
Dallas College seeks a sophisticated senior financial executive well-skilled in interacting with C-suite level administrators and Board of Trustees to serve in this critical and highly visible role. The successful candidate is analytical, fiscally savvy, and strong in risk based assessment. Dallas College desires a CIA who will act as an internal business partner to strategically work alongside the various business units to develop and maintain fiscally sound, responsible and effective business practices.
This position reports functionally to the Board of Trustees and administratively to the General Counsel. The position is a senior-level administrative position.
The Chief Internal Auditor functions as a member of the senior management team, responsible for instituting policies and procedures that provide effective internal management of the organization by assessing risk and ensuring Dallas College has appropriate internal controls and effective and efficient processes and programs. Responsible for accelerating organizational performance through strategic planning and organizational effectiveness. Bears significant responsibility, accountability and authority within an organization to meet the vision, mission, strategic priorities and goals of Dallas College.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience as a highly aligned business leader in strategic planning and support services. Must maintain an uncompromised commitment to integrity, credibility, confidentiality in sensitive situations, demonstrated high moral values and ethical behavior and dedication. Proven track-record of detail oriented management skills including fiscal compliance and outcomes. A strategic thinker providing visionary and dynamic leadership that will bring about effective change. Ability to keep up to date with emerging technologies and best practices.
- Ability to identify, understand and analyze risks to the enterprise and design, implement, manage and execute audit activities informed by an appreciation and understanding of risks to the enterprise.
- Ability to oversee the complete operation of a department in accordance with the direction established through strategic plans including the design and structure of the organization in a manner that facilitates and supports the operations. Demonstrated problem solving skills from analysis to recommendation and the development of the implementation plan.
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships with internal and external constituents of diverse ethnicity and multicultural backgrounds, creating and supporting a diverse environment. Experience in leading efforts that focus on initiatives affecting business procedures and issues, as well as experience in developing and implementing strategic proposals. Ability to make formal, persuasive presentations to groups and interact effectively with individuals from all segments of the community. Proven capacity to work inclusively with executive leadership, and collaboratively with other stakeholders.
- Excellent change agent, using a style of management that mentors/coaches staff to inspire their best performance. Ability to understand changing market dynamics, translating them into actionable strategy and implementing the strategy to achieve the objectives of the district. Able to align and integrate the department's goals with the vision, mission and goals of Dallas College.
- A strong commitment to personal and professional development, and the ability to build a robust and collaborative team. Ability to translate and communicate complex topics in a variety of forums, tailoring communications to effectively fit and influence the targeted audience. Must have strong interpersonal, oral and written communications skills to effectively communicate win a diverse, multicultural community network.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for establishing standards and implementing procedures to ensure that compliance programs throughout the district are effective and efficient in identifying, preventing, detecting and correcting noncompliance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Leads, inspires, and manages an internal audit function which meets or exceeds the institute of internal Auditor's International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (ISPPIA)
- Prepares and implements a risk-based audit plan to assess, report on and make strategic, informed recommendations for improving the effectiveness of Dallas College's operational and financial activities
- Maintains working knowledge of state grants and Board policies
- Keeps current on industry changes and best practices through professional development activities
- Develops audit programs, internal control questionnaires, and audit procedures to be used in establishing methods to improve efficiency and quality of services, and to reduce the vulnerability to fraud and abuse, such as statistical sampling, use of electronic data processing equipment, and record analysis
- Performs audit risk assessments and reports to senior leadership and Board of Trustees significant issues related to internal controls processes and highest risk areas within current operations to ensure that processes are appropriate for the current regulatory environment and to help ensure compliance with business practices.
- Participates as a senior leader and trusted advisor to executive leadership and the Board of Trustees by having a full understanding of Dallas College operations, mission programmatic priorities and strategic initiatives in order to identify, assess, manage and monitor risk areas and align audit activities with same.
- Successfully builds and maintains collaborative relationships with diverse internal/external stakeholders and constituents within the Dallas College community network to evaluate the effectiveness of current controls in order to:
- Manage significant risk exposures
- Ensure the integrity and reliability of information and financial reporting
- Safeguard Dallas College assets
- Support compliance with laws and regulations
- Participates in special projects or strategic initiatives and/or conducts special reviews or investigations at the direction of the senior leadership or Board of Trustees.
- Participates in various committees or task forces geared to policy/procedure development and operational improvements.
- Meets quarterly with the Dallas College Board of Trustees Audit Committee to review audit priorities, results and recommendations.
- Evaluates the required effort to remediate audit findings and assesses remediation costs and benefits.
- Assists independent auditors as part of external review process.
- Makes oral and written presentations of audit findings, risk assessment results, and status updates on corrective action plans to the Dallas College executive leadership and Board of Trustees.
- Uses tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and responds appropriately to conflicts and problems
- Select, coach, mentor and provide development opportunities for internal audit staff
- Provides frequent feedback to team members regarding performance and progress on established goals and objectives.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the Dallas County Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com