Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all position (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Under general direction and reporting to the Information Technology Manager, provides systems engineering and operational management of technology infrastructure supporting data and compute-intensive research laboratories. Additionally, provides engineering and operational support for administrative systems and core technology services. Position requires research, design, planning, installation, configuration, operation and maintenance of complex infrastructure platforms requiring a high degree of technical knowledge and systems integration experience.
Position assists with specification, procurement, installation and testing of physical and virtual server configurations. Position requires ongoing support for complex systems and applications, as well as providing advanced-level technical support for end users in both labs and administrative departments. Incumbent will support several mission-critical Information Technology systems / services and will manage high-performance computational and storage systems used by labs. Position requires participation in an on-call rotation to provide critical 24x7 coverage.
The Senior Systems Engineer is challenged with establishing and maintaining a high level of credibility and quality for services provided by the Information Technology department. In meeting these goals, the Senior System Engineer constantly evaluates the state of the art in Information Technology and applies creative solutions to satisfy research and business needs in support of the Institute’s mission.
(80%) System Integration, Design and Installation
- Documents, plans, designs, implements, supports, maintains, monitors and plans for capacity of all aspects of an enterprise-based environment. Documents system design and administration procedures.
- Installs operating system, servers, and third-party software installation. Conducts upgrades and maintenance. Installs hardware and software.
- Researches potential IT solutions in response to Department goals and priorities. Meets with customers to define needs and translate them into technical solutions.
- Acts independently to lead the design and implementation of complex systems that provide reliable, scalable services often using a combination of different technologies. Coordinates with senior management as needed to address questions, particularly regarding strategy or finances.
- Serves as a technical project lead/manager, conducting regular technical review and planning meetings to help coordinate the group’s efforts. Builds and maintains project timelines; works with other departments and groups to ensure a quality result. Acts as a Project Manager through self-directed projects and those being implemented by other technical leads within the IT Department.
- Plans and coordinates with IT support staff for hardware and software project logistics, purchases and implementations.
- Contributes feedback to defining policies and procedures in the areas of Disaster Recovery, Enterprise Backups, Systems Management, Monitoring and Systems Administration/Security, Build Standards, and Server Build Automation.
- Conducts configuration and storage management.
- Performs performance tuning and diagnostics at the application, operating system or network level to enhance or preserve functional capacity.
- Serves as a technical expert for one or more mission-critical systems (which may involve multiple technologies); resolve issues forwarded by junior staff.
- Customizes and maintains web-based applications which use complex data storage back-ends and databases.
- Resolves software problems with operating systems or third-party products. Maintains and sets up file systems.
- Investigates and documents new technologies, tools and methodologies to improve system stability and reliability, and advance systems administration procedures. Tracks industry trends. Recommends ideas for cost-savings efforts that will increase efficiency to senior management.
- Upholds Institute policy guidelines and recommend new or improved guidelines to ensure compatibility and better service to end users.
- Negotiates and sets priorities with end-users and department personnel when resolving problems with IT hardware and software.
- Conducts system performance tuning and troubleshooting based on system and network statistics.
(5%) Technical Support
- Respond to operations escalation tickets promptly and document solutions.
- Participates in IT on-call rotation - nights and weekends.
- Minimum of seven years’ experience managing enterprise-class compute and storage hardware, including SAN and NAS solutions.
- Minimum of seven years of UNIX operating systems administration experience in an enterprise client-server environment.
- Experience managing a virtualization platform infrastructure in an enterprise environment.
- Ten years’ experience managing enterprise-class compute and storage hardware.
- Five years managing RHEL / CentOS workloads in large client-server enterprise environment.
- Five years engineering / implementing complex IT solutions.
- Five years managing VMware ESXi and vSphere virtualization platforms.
- Experience with cloud storage and compute platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or other engineering field or equivalent combination of education and related experience in the Information Technology field.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills appropriate for interactions with a broad array of individuals. Interpersonal skills must include tact, good judgment, diplomacy, and flexibility to relate to diverse scientific research staff, faculty, executive management, administrative staff, and external contacts.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, adjust to changing priorities and different personalities.
- Self-starter able to work with minimal supervision.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting capabilities.
- Ability to learn new skills quickly with minimal guidance.
- Ability to work in a team environment with aggressive deadlines and multiple priorities while staying a team player.
- Knowledge and understanding of general operating systems, networks and core infrastructure services
- Experience managing Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) platform
- Experience supporting VMware vCenter/ESX infrastructure in an enterprise environment.
- Knowledge of the use of tape silos, high speed tape devices, systems monitors and system tuning as a plus
- Knowledge deployment and administration of Red Hat / CentOS Linux Operating System.
- Knowledge of data protection platforms, such as NetBackup, Veeam and Spectrum Protect
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
- Willing to sign a confidentiality agreement
This position requires constant balancing, grasping, hearing, lifting 0-20 pounds, seeing, sitting, talking, touching/feeling, communicating, reading, reasoning, writing and noise exposure.