University of California, Davis, Animal Science Department

The Department of Animal Science, originally the Division of Animal Husbandry, originated in Berkeley in 1901. The division moved to Davis in 1908 and 1909 and later became the Department of Animal Husbandry. The department's name changed to Animal Science in 1967, recognizing its emphasis on the basic biology of domestic animals as well as animal husbandry in its teaching and research programs. In 1998, faculty, staff and students from the Department of Avian Sciences transferred to the Department of Animal Science, adding avian species to the department's missions.