Aquatics Coach and Kinesiology Full-Time Instructor (FACULTY VOLUNTARY TRANSFER ANNOUNCEMENT)
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 5/22/2018
Tenured faculty may request a voluntary transfer to an open, full-time faculty position. A voluntary transfer is the reassignment of a current tenured faculty employee from the department where presently assigned to fill a full-time vacancy in which the member meets the minimum qualifications or equivalencies. The vacancy may be in another department at the same college, or in any department at the other college. See ACE Article 23.4 for more information. This notice serves to inform full-time faculty employees of an upcoming position opening.
The Kinesiology/Athletics Department at West Valley College is now accepting applications for a full-time, tenure-track teaching/coaching position as a Kinesiology Instructor and Aquatics Coach. Under the general direction of the Physical Education Dean and the Athletic Director, this position's responsibilities will involve teaching physical education courses in fitness/wellness activities, lifetime sports, and team sports. A minimum of 50% of the teaching assignment's responsibilities will include leadership and coordination of all aspects of the aquatics program. The successful candidate will be expected to assume departmental responsibilities for curriculum development, evaluation of faculty, and college-wide committee assignments.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, 10-month, tenure track position, which begins in Fall 2018, with an anticipated start date of August 24, 2018. The work assignment for teaching faculty consists of class assignments in activity and other Kinesiology classes, and professional responsibilities, such as curriculum development and committee work, which are necessary for the effective and efficient operation of the department, College and the District. This position is represented by the Association of College Educators and American Federation of Teachers (ACE AFT Local 6554).
All tenured faculty who submit a completed application online by the deadline date as directed in this job posting and who meet the minimum or equivalent qualifications shall be interviewed.
Work location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $61,553 to $95,792 annually, based upon academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 10 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Instructional duties and assignments may consist of one or more of the following:
- Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes preparation, in class activities, evaluation of studentsí work, consultation with students outside of class (scheduling time beyond normal office hours if necessary), maintenance of currency in the subjects taught and other efforts related to the teaching of the assigned classes.
- Maintain accurate class and other records conforming with state requirements and stated district and college needs.
- Submit, when due, all necessary reports, such as attendance, grade reports, rosters, classes and office hour schedules.
- Follow course outline for each course with the appropriate division offices.
- Post and maintain office hours each week in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Observe, support and enforce the regulations, policies and programs of the District and college.
- Provide each student with a written course syllabus as per instructions in the Faculty handbook at the beginning of the course.
- Refer students to appropriate college sources for information on counseling and other student services.
- Assist students by providing advice on requirements for successful achievement in the memberís area of expertise.
- Work cooperatively within the college community.
- Foster an environment that protects academic freedom within the college community.
- Foster a positive working environment that is free from harassment, prejudice, and/or bias.
- Demonstrate positive communication skills within the college community.
- Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
1. Education Ė Possess one of the following:
- Masterís degree in physical education, exercise science, education with an emphasis in physical education, kinesiology; physiology of exercise, or adaptive physical education;
- OR Bachelorís degree in any of the above AND masterís degree in any life science, dance, physiology, health education, recreation administration, or physical therapy;
- OR a valid California Community College Instructorís Credential in physical education;
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741Ė2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...