Senior Administrative Assistant (one or more positions)
South Orange County Community College District
Senior Administrative Assistant, full-time (One or more positions)
Irvine Valley College
Pay Range:†† †127; Starting salary at $4,575.00 monthly
Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Classification Benefits:†† †
The District offers a comprehensive package of insurance benefits to eligible employees, which includes medical and dental insurance, a vision-care plan, life insurance and dependent life coverage, accidental death and dismemberment coverage, and a long-term disability income-protection plan. All premiums are fully paid by the District. Mandatory retirement incentive is with California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS).
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
Under direction from the assigned administrator of record of a highly complex, multi-function division of large size, staff, and budget, such as a Dean or Director, performs the full range of administrative, secretarial, and clerical assistance in support of assigned complex program in a large business, instructional, or student services division; or serves as secondary administrative support for a larger office, such as a Vice Presidentís office or the Presidentís office. May receive direction from a Vice-President if assigned to provide specialized, independent secondary support in that office. May receive direction from the President or Executive Assistant to the President if assigned to provide specialized, independent secondary support in that office. May receive functional supervision, technical training, and work direction from an academic bargaining unit program supervisor or an executive assistant.
This classification is distinguished from other levels of the Administrative Assistant series in that the Senior Administrative Assistant is the experienced, journey-level classification of the series. Incumbents are assigned to perform the full range of complex administrative support, secretarial, and clerical duties independently for a large/complex business, instructional, or student services program. Incumbents at this level typically receive instruction or assistance only as new or unusual situations arise, and must be fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit.
- Operational characteristics, services, and activities of the functions, programs, and operations of the assigned division or department.
- Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations including applicable sections of the State Education Code and other legal requirements related to area of assignment.
- Work organization and office management principles and practices.
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Processes, procedures, and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Principles, practices, and procedures of business letter writing.
- Principles and procedures used in complex, inter-related record keeping.
- Principles and practices used to establish and maintain files and information retrieval systems.
- Principles, practices and procedures of complex fiscal, statistical, and administrative research and report preparation.
- Statistical procedures and mathematical concepts.
- Principles and techniques used in public relations including methods and techniques of proper receptionist and telephone etiquette.
- Principles and practices of providing training, work direction, and guidance to lower-level office staff and student workers.
- English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Understand the organization and operation of the assigned division and/or department as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Understand, interpret, and apply administrative and office policies and procedures as well as pertinent laws, regulations, and ordinances.
- Perform responsible and difficult administrative duties involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative.
- Oversee and participate in the management of the administrative functions and operations of the assigned office.
- Establish, review, and revise office work priorities.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Use sound judgment in recognizing scope of authority.
- Exercise good judgment and maintain confidentiality in maintaining critical and sensitive information, records, and reports.
- Respond to requests and inquiries from students, staff, or the public; effectively present information in person or on the telephone to students, staff, or the public.
- Type or enter data at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
- Take and transcribe dictation, if required by the position, at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
- Participate in the preparation and administration of assigned budgets.
- Use correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Research, compile, analyze, and interpret data.
- Prepare a variety of clear and concise administrative and financial reports.
- Implement and maintain filing systems.
- Independently compose and prepare correspondence and memoranda.
- Plan, schedule, direct, coordinate, and review the work and performance of assigned staff in a manner conducive to proficient performance and high morale.
- Plan and organize work to meet schedules and changing deadlines.
- Operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Adapt to changing technologies and learn functionality of new equipment and systems.
- Work under steady pressure with frequent interruptions and a high degree of public contact by phone or in person.
- Work independently and effectively in the absence of supervision.
- Work with and exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the varied racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, academic, socio-economic, and disabled populations of community college students.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Equivalent to two years of college level course work or specialized training in public administration, business administration, secretarial science, or a related field.
Three years of increasingly responsible experience as an administrative assistant or secretary, preferably in an administrative office of a public agency or in an educational environment, including some experience in a lead capacity.
License or Certificate:
A valid California driverís license and proof of insurability may be required for some positions to drive a District or personal vehicle to attend meetings or pick up/deliver documents or other materials.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- To Apply:
Please visit the Districtís Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application. †
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country. †
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the South Orange County Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...